Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
97 SLS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Originally I was told I needed a rear main seal. I asked Advantage auto parts for a mechanic who said he would do it for $900. After
two wks with nothing done I called to say I was picking it up. His explanation: my lift was broken. Ok. I finally had it towed to the
dealership who said it was the lower crank case seal and would take $4,200 to fix it and was not worth it, even with 90,000 miles on it.
Then said I could ask $2,500 for it and take $2,000 for it. I don't know much about Cadillacs, but if both seals are in the rear of the
engine, how did it go from $900 to $4,200? Thank all of you SO much to help a "little lady".

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
The engine block is split horizontally down the crankshaft center line and is known as a "halfcase". That halfcase seal is prone to leak on older models, and to repair it requires a drivetrain removal. It is usually just seepage. For that kind of money, add a qt every now and then and consider it rustproofing.

Note part 101 (engine block) has an upper and lower half. #111 is the seal between them that leaks.

·
Registered
97 SLS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hi moist cabbage, I love your moniker! It was towed because when I drove it even 2 blocks it made horrible noises, so I finally called the OMGosh! the dealership
who told me to have it towed, so I did. Q #1: sorry' I'm used to foreign cars, why are all the seals in the back of the engine, or am I showing my ignorance by
asking that question, Lol; #2 if I was told it needed rear main seal that I was told I could get it done for $900, but now it needs a lower crank case seal for
$4,200, I realize they're both in the back of the engine, so...? Why? Ps. Is the dealership full of ...Sludge?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
What kind of horrible noises? An oil leak won't cause noise until the oil level is lower than the oil pump pickup. Noises from that are NOT a good sign.

All the seals are not in the back, only the rear main deal. There's a front main seal at the front, the case half seal/lower crankcase seal is all around the perimeter of the block.

As Ranger said, even if the case half seal is leaking, it's usually just seepage, and several thousand dollars will buy A LOT of oil.

I'd be more concerned with the noises it was making before you look any further into the leak.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
Halfcase seal and oil distribution manifold seal. The entire engine must be removed and disassembled.

Click a thumbnail to enlarge, use your browser <-- to back out.

Attachments

·
Registered
03 STS
2,527 Posts
Foreign cars? Like Hondas? No 97 sls is worth $4k. Even a used car lot that sells older cars would not ask for that much. Have u had this car long? Saying your a foreign car owner and than saying u have owned this caddy for 5 yrs means u should have lots of experience with caddy repairs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts