Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
1997 SLS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 Seville SLS and I can hear the pump for the ELC kick on when I start the car but I've never seen it raise the back end. I'm thinking of changing out the shocks but b4 I do, Im going to take off the pump and see if it slogged. What my question is, how do I go about checking my pump and if I do go to with the reg. shocks do I need to change out the coil springs.

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,582 Posts
Welcome Aboard !!!

If the car is level and the shock bladders are already preloaded to the height settings then you won't see any height change during the short proveout. If the rear squats, even after a layup week, you have air leaks.

EDIT: If you ever DO see a level change at Key: ON then you have problems. My STS can sit in the garage for 5 weeks and not sag 1/16".

Look through the below link and form an opinion on whether or not your car sits at correct level most of the time ......dead nuts level or even with a slight front rake.

·
Super Moderator
86,144 Posts
What my question is, how do I go about checking my pump and if I do go to with the reg. shocks do I need to change out the coil springs.
There are no coil springs. If you car has them, they are aftermarket added by a previous owner.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
18,795 Posts
I have a 97 Seville SLS and I can hear the pump for the ELC kick on when I start the car but I've never seen it raise the back end. I'm thinking of changing out the shocks but b4 I do, Im going to take off the pump and see if it slogged. What my question is, how do I go about checking my pump and if I do go to with the reg. shocks do I need to change out the coil springs.
========================
easiest way to check the ELC system would be to turn the ignition key ON - engine OFF -
locate the ride-height sensor -

disconnect the connecting rod at the control arm end -

moving the connecting rod UP will simulate a LOW rear end -
this should start the compressor - inflate the air bladders - and RAISE the rear end -

THEN move the connecting rod DOWN to the half-way point -
this will simulate PROPER ride height - and stop the compressor -

LASTLY - pull the connecting rod fully DOWN -
this will simulate a HIGH rear end - and should activate the exhaust valve -
deflating the air bladders to LOWER the car -

--------------------------------

if the compressor functions completely - all you need to do is replace the shocks -
I recommend the MONROE 40046 - $98 each - with free shipping -

IF the compressor - or other parts of the ELC system do NOT function properly -
you can install the MONROE AK29 - manual fill kit - $12 - also from Amazon -
simply inflate/deflate the shocks just like inflating/deflating a tire -

==========================

replacing the air-assist shocks with plain shocks would be a MAJOR mistake -

the stock coil springs are JUST strong enough to support the EMPTY weight of the car -
ANY additional weight in the back seat and/or trunk WILL cause the rear end to sag -

there are no heavy-duty or cargo-coil type rear springs that I know of -
the reason being they would cause the car to ride like a 1-ton truck -

the other "solution" would be to install coil-over shocks -
these are plain shocks that have a VERY stiff spring wrapped around them -
these are just HORRIBLE! - and a VERY BAD idea -
VERY harsh riding - noisy - and NEVER at the CORRECT ride height -

·
1997 SLS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all of your help! I was wondering about the Strutmaster Air Suspension to Coil and was wondering if it was a bad idea, I will try to see if it raises when I turn key to on and what it should or could be. Thanks again for the help.

·
-Administrator- 2002.5 F55 STS 2014 FWD Explorer
66,582 Posts
Friends don't let friends buy Strutmaster stuff.

Your coil spring question. The car has rear coil springs, separate from the shocks. IF the replacement shocks also had coil-overs that's a no-no. The car should sit VERY close to level with the shocks removed - if the rear end sags noticeably with the shocks removed then, yes - install new coil springs but DO NOT install junk coil-over shocks too.

Here's the rear suspension on a 2002 Seville. About the same as your car. You can see the top of the coil spring and inside it is the rubber bump stop. The thingy on the body metal - with the lever arm - is a rear height sensor, linked to the control arm - the control links sometimes pop off the ball studs and suspension codes appear.

RR OEM.jpg.JPG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts