Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 SLS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My moms 97 Seville has leaked a little oil for a few years. I keep a pan underneath and one day it was overflowing. I took it to a local gasstation/repair shop and was told it needed a rear main seal. They told me they didn't do that work and said to go to Advantage Auto, never Auto Zone? Ok, at Advantage Auto they recommended a shop that would do it for $900. After 2 wks there w/nothing done I picked it up. Called another shop who said they don't replace rear main seals anymore since the crankshaft wobbles and you would have to do it repeatedly or do a total engine rehaul for $5k.Any thoughts? I really appreciate this since they see a "little lady" coming, so I need info.
Thank y'all so much for any help.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Whoever told you the crankshaft would "wobble" is either a complete moron, or just trying to get you to pay for a whole lot more repair than is necessary.

There are plenty of places more likely to leak than the rear main seal. Under what area do you see the dripping? Front of the engine compartment? Rear? Right? Left?

·
Registered
97 SLS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your quick reply. This shop was recommended by both Advanced Auto supplies and my local Gas station/repair shop. Hopefully, a moron, but since
he said they don't do that type work anymore because of his "reason", so I don't think he was trying to bilk me. The leak is from the front right I believe. The gas
station/repair shop said to put in Blue Devil rear main sealer and drive it 5 miles a day for 4-5 days. What is true? Can be fixed for $5k or....?

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Before you dump snake oil in it...
There are several regular places these leak from and need to be checked and fixed if leaking and are inexpensive. Oil pressure sender leak is very very common. Another is oil level sender leak(not as common).
Does it leak sitting or when running only?

·
Registered
97 SLS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I can tell, sitting only. Haha!? How do you tell if it's leaking when running? I'm sorry, you probably mean if I turn it on and leave it running?
So sorry, I've got to joke or I go crazy.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Cadillackim said:
So sorry, I've got to joke or I go crazy.
Im with you on that one :thumbsup: .

DO NOT pour any stop leak in it. It will only lead to more problems.

The rear main seal is at the rear of the engine, which is toward the left side of your engine compartment. If the dripping is on the right, it's not that.

Are you sure it's oil, and not power steering fluid? Most of the common oil leaks would be at the front.

·
Registered
97 SLS
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi again and again, forgive me, when I say the leak is in the front right, I'm talking as if I were sitting in the car. If I'm outside of the car looking at the hood,
it would be on the left front. Now, are you totally confused as I am? Lol. I was told it was oil and not power steering fluid, but as a "little lady" I don't trust them.After looking through moms repairs, back in '12 found steering system code C1241 magna steer malfunction, pulled off & checked for resistance in solenoid, none found, then found ebtcm module to be shorted.It looks like I took it to: Dealer and several shops complaining about same thing, not as much oil leak
but the noise (engine ?rattle?, etc) They must drive it around the parking lot and hear nothing. Same w/my Lexus, I told them it vibrates when I brake
after going 45-50 MPH then brake. $ shops said they drove it and didn't feel it. I asked if they drove it 45-50 MPH then braked, they said no. Duh!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,458 Posts
OK - Standing in front of the car, looking at the engine, the left side is the front of the physical engine, so there's no way, with engine oil leaking near there, that the rear main seal (the far right side of the engine) is leaking.

My guess is the oil filter, oil filter adapter, oil level sensor, or oil pressure sending switch. ALL of which are local Mom&Pop shop work of less than an hour's labor time.

In this line drawing the arrow points to the front of the car and the "front side" of the engine is the left side and you're looking at a couple of possible leak points - 2 feet in front of your left toes.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts