Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 97 Cadillac Seville last year summer for $500 pretty good shape and only had 140k miles on it. I was told it just needed new battery but of course you know how that goes too good to be true. Yes the car did need a new battery but the main issue was the car wouldn't charge the battery and the alternator was still good. Anyways long short I've put in a lot of time and money into this car. I replaced 3 tires, new battery, new connectors, brake pads and figured out the charging issue myself. Everything was kosher ran great I drove the car from IA to MN left it at my brothers and was out of the country for 3 months. When I got back drove it for a week real smooth then randomly car wouldn't start anti theft. I replaced the the ignition cylinder along with the anti theft fuse and got a new key cut with the correct VAT. The car now starts but it will randomly shut off while driving. The whole dash will just shut off and will have zero power. It turns back on either right away or after a few minutes. I think I've narrowed down the issue which is the ignition starter switch. I first called the dealership was told the part was discounted but was given part number which turned out to be wrong. After that I went online to the actually gmc whole sale part store and ordered it from there. I did part check and it said matched. I come to find out that they don't carry that part and the one I ordered didn't going either. Next I went to ebay and found it on line. The seller had part match and it said that part did fit my car. Well turns out it the part it self was the exact same as I ordered previously from the gmc whole sale store. So it obviously wasn't correct. Can anybody please tell me the actually original part number for my 97 cadillac seville? Not needed but also if knew where to find one as well. Its disconnected and been given the wrong part number.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,998 Posts
I can't help with the actual part number -
I CAN tell you that the ignition switch is UNIQUE to the 1996 and 1997 model years -

1 - 2 of 2 Posts