Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
97eldoradoETC
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
haven't had the chance to line one up yet but i was just wondering what to expect.

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond STS
218 Posts
The older one might get you at launch/low speed, but should reel him in fairly quickly. The newer one really shouldn't be too tough at all. My Aurora lost by a little bit to an older one, and she only ran high 15's best 1/4mi times...

·
Registered
past 88 Deville
316 Posts
The older one might get you at launch/low speed, but should reel him in fairly quickly. The newer one really shouldn't be too tough at all. My Aurora lost by a little bit to an older one, and she only ran high 15's best 1/4mi times...
are you KIDDING? The launch is where the eldo has the advantage. After 3,000 RPM no eldo is gonna catch a Gen I Mark VIII. I can reach 90 in about 12 secs and from what I have seen, an eldo traps at 94 MPH

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,753 Posts
Being FWD with torquespin, I'd say the Mark VIII will have the off-the-line advantage. Still, both cars do about the same 0-60 and 1/4 mile. The "win" will depend on the driver - though with automatics, there's not much involved there either.

·
Registered
past 88 Deville
316 Posts
Being FWD with torquespin, I'd say the Mark VIII will have the off-the-line advantage. Still, both cars do about the same 0-60 and 1/4 mile. The "win" will depend on the driver - though with automatics, there's not much involved there either.
I have driven in plenty of eldorado's and I can certainly say that the eldorado will definitly win from 0-20 MPH. Mark VIIIs are dogs off the line but once it opens up its IMRC at 3,000 RPM, it just keeps going.

·
Banned
A few, actually.
20 Posts
A Gen 1 Mark VIII will put up a little better fight than a Gen 2, but the ETC will take the win in either case.

·
Registered
1999 White Diamond STS
218 Posts
are you KIDDING? The launch is where the eldo has the advantage. After 3,000 RPM no eldo is gonna catch a Gen I Mark VIII. I can reach 90 in about 12 secs and from what I have seen, an eldo traps at 94 MPH
Yea, pretty much what Lord say, even if the Cadillac has better down low, the FWD will probably hurt it more. Then, IMO at least, the Eldy should be the faster car and come back on the Mark.

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
Between the 1st gen Mark VIII and a Eldo it would be a drivers races. But with the Mark VIII you will get better times out of with with manually rowing the gears. But if you race a 1st gen LSC then the LSC should beat the Eldo

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
2,536 Posts
Wasn't the Mark 8 a FWD as well? No matter I guess. The Intech 4.6 DOHC from Ford was very sluggish below 3k, even more so than the Northstar. The 2 cars weigh almost the same, and the gearing is very close as well. I'd say expect the Cadillac to have the edge, but it be within reason for a Lincoln to win based on driver.

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
Wasn't the Mark 8 a FWD as well? No matter I guess. The Intech 4.6 DOHC from Ford was very sluggish below 3k, even more so than the Northstar. The 2 cars weigh almost the same, and the gearing is very close as well. I'd say expect the Cadillac to have the edge, but it be within reason for a Lincoln to win based on driver.
Mark VIII FWD :histeric: What do you think Lincoln is? Cadillac? Yeah.....I went there

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Drivers race for sure. The Mark's Traction can be turned off, but the eldo has a crapload of power. I think a Gen 1 LSC would beat an ETC though. The mark is a bad SOB once it gets rolling. I will say that the N* takes off faster, but the Mark has more pull in second from a stand still.

If they were rolling around 40, I would say the Eldo hands down.

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood
2,536 Posts
Mark VIII FWD :histeric: What do you think Lincoln is? Cadillac? Yeah.....I went there

I just recalled that when I drove a Mark 8, it didn't launch anything like a good RWD should. Hell, my Mark IV launched better than the Mark VIII. A big thing is the absolute gutlessness of the Ford 4.6 DOHC down low. Despite being FWD, the Eldorado can out launch the Lincoln, which is very sad actually.

As for FWd, bah, someone screwed up when they decided that the front wheels should do everything on a vehicle.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
So, how is that Mark IV going??? Any pics yet?

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
I just recalled that when I drove a Mark 8, it didn't launch anything like a good RWD should. Hell, my Mark IV launched better than the Mark VIII. A big thing is the absolute gutlessness of the Ford 4.6 DOHC down low. Despite being FWD, the Eldorado can out launch the Lincoln, which is very sad actually.

As for FWd, bah, someone screwed up when they decided that the front wheels should do everything on a vehicle.
Ford's problem is giving the DOHC 4.6 to a automatic. If they're going to give it the 4.6 and with an auto it has to be the SOHC because it has more power down low. The DOHC is better with a manual tranny so you can bring the rev's up to launch it better

·
Cadillac Maniac
Cadillac Escalade
13,753 Posts
Isn't Lincoln more FWD than Cadillac these days? The Northstar is a monster from 15 or 20mph and on. The race really will be won by whoever gets the better start and whoever has the heavier foot.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts