Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've put about 1k miles on my ETC since I bought it, and I'm still loving every moment of it. The girlfriend finally discovered the heated seats, so she's finally liking the car too!

I really haven't had any real trouble with the car (it now has 55k on it), but I've got a few simple questions. First, after the car is washed, or if I drive in the rain (which I avoid doing, I try to drive my beater Grand Prix on bad Wx days!), the front left brake will make a "grinding" noise as the car stops. If you lightly apply the brakes, there is no noise at all - the only time the grinding is heard is when the car is coming to a stop, or the pedal pressure is moderate. Applying the brakes lightly (as to gradually slow down from highway speed) does not cause this condition. Usually after the brakes dry, this condition is completely gone. I know the car received new rotors at 50k, but I'm not sure about the pads. Maybe the pads are wearing?

Second question has to do with the license-plate lamp. One of the two lamps must have been replaced with the wrong wattage bulb, causing the rubber socket to melt into the bulb. There is no damage to the wiring loom, but im guessing I'll have to replace the socket. Would this be a PITA to do?

Last question - Is it me, or is the a/c always running? I was driving in about 45 degree weather last night, and still heard the a/c engaging as I stood outside the car for a few minutes. Does it always stay on until you override it with the "a/c" button? I guess it's not a bad thing, since it will keep the windows from fogging on a cold & humid november day.

Overall, this car is one of the best I've driven in a long time. I took 100Mi drive to Western MA with the car this weekend, and was truly impressed with its handling and highway manners. For a car of it's weight and size, it's incredibly nimble and fast. I'm definately looking forward to keeping the ETC for a while!

-Scott

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Hey Scott,
Wet brakes can make some wierd noises for sure but I'd say it warrants a brake inspection to be sure.
The lamp socket can be replaced several ways. Get a new socket from the dealer, cut one off a junker at a junkyard, or buy an aftermarket socet from a parts store. They're all relatively painless remedies.
As for the A/C always being on, as long as the climate control is set to "AUTO" you will be selecting the A/C compressor as well. It will cycle more in cold weather due to lower system pressures but that's normal. As you pointed out, it will provide dry air and that comes in handy. You can turn it off by selecting the "ECON" setting.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
1. Normal...... Most every car will do that, its just the brake pads slightly wet......

2. Replacing a socket shouldnt be too bad.... I think that most different wattage bulbs are different sizes, so mizing and matching shouldnt be very easy.... Their probably really cheap from the dealer.....

3. True...... Unless you put it in ECON or override, its always gonna be running..... Thats the way it is with most cars.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts