Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'97 ETC
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been entertaining the idea of removing the landau top from my Eldorado, and I've read that aftermarket ones can come off while the factory installed top is almost impossible to remove. I'm not afraid of doing some paintwork if it's needed. I'm curious to know if my top is factory or aftermarket, as the RPO codes didn't give me much insight. My top stops at the end of the rear windows, and it has chrome trim that runs all the way to the front of the fenders. Does anyone know if this style is dealer installed?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,094 Posts
The "Landau" tops are ALL dealership-contracted aftermarket items. You'll need to know how it was installed - some are glued to a thin fiberglass shell which is then attached to the original paintwork with screws and glues; other installs are simply padded material glued to the paintwork and trimmed with a variety of chrome or plastic stripping.

In any event, removal can be a real bear. Takes a GOOD body shop and some money. Some have done it DIY but it takes a lot more than a screwdriver and time.

·
Registered
'97 ETC
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The "Landau" tops are ALL dealership-contracted aftermarket items. You'll need to know how it was installed - some are glued to a thin fiberglass shell which is then attached to the original paintwork with screws and glues; other installs are simply padded material glued to the paintwork and trimmed with a variety of chrome or plastic stripping.

In any event, removal can be a real bear. Takes a GOOD body shop and some money. Some have done it DIY but it takes a lot more than a screwdriver and time.
Interesting, I guess I'd have to look into it more

1 - 4 of 4 Posts