Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1997 ETC
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hello again,

I've tried searching for the answer, but all I've seen are questions pertaining to a problem, and that's not what I'm looking for. What is the appropriate idling Ron for a '97 ETC? Mine never seems to settle on anything consistently, other than staying between 500-1000. I'm not sure if that's normal for this engine because it's been over a decade since the last time I owned an Eldorado, and at that time I was young and unconcerned with a lot of the engine specs (young and dumb lol). I'm asking because my Mercedes S class has always been at a consistent 700rpm idle, so I'm not sure if the Northstar has a variable range, or if it's being caused by something else. It NEVER goes above 1k, and I don't have any hesitation in acceleration. Also, in gear it tends to be the higher end, while being in park usually keeps it in the lower end, BUT it's not always that way so that's why I listed the idle RPM range overall.

Thanks in advance

Idling RPM* (I hate mobile phones sometimes)

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,416 Posts
Correct Northstar idle is, from cold start, 1200 for 10 or 15 seconds, 900 or so for a while longer, then down to about 650 in any gear/N/P setting.

Google "cadillac forums northstar idle air control valve cleaning".

IAC is a solenoid valve on the left (front) side of the throttlebody - it varies its opening to bleed idle air around the throttle blade. They get sooted up - easy clean and check.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Also look for a vacuum leak if your RPM is "hunting".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts