Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
My 97 ETC with 66 K miles has quite a rumble when you brake from any speed above 40 mph. A big vibration. This is a common experience I've had with other cars when the brakes are old. It also implies that the rotors are warped.

Q1) Why do they warp? Was the metal not thick enough from the factory? (I know my wife's Durango had this problem but they have a known warpage problem from too light of a brake for the car)

Q2) Is it worth turning the rotors, or just replace? My thinking is if the factory rotors warped in 60 K miles (or less), turning them just makes them thinner and more prone to warpage.

Q3) Would you buy something like the autozone Duralast rotor for $39.99 each, or go to the caddy dealer?

Thanks again for all the advice

Pete

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
I bought one $16 or $18 generic cheapass rotor from Autozone. Works fine. (Bought one due to a small collision with a curb... damn wet roads.) At that price for a new rotor sometimes turning the old ones isn't worth it.

·
Super Moderator
86,146 Posts
"Warped" rotors are usually not actually warped. It is more often than not an uneven braked pad deposit. I have expirience the same problem. In my case the rear rotors were actually corroded from salt being trapped between the pad and rotor (I guess). If infact it is just uneven pad deposits, a light skim cut should take care of it.

Reference:
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_warped_brakedisk.shtml

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ranger
Excellent article! I had not idea. I think the bottom line is the rotors still need to be turned to remove the deposits, and some deposits (cementite) may not be removable.

Its certainly easier to replace the rotors because you will have them on hand when you do the work. Otherwise, you have to get the rotors to a machine shop.

I may try the machine shop; not sure.

Also interesting is the brake-in (no pun intended) procedure.

Thanks again.
Pete

1 - 5 of 5 Posts