Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a loud, awful "rattle" sound coming from the passenger-side front of the engine area. It sounds like it's coming from the area of the belt-driven units, and it's fairly loud. The sound is sorta like someone dropping a stream of random ball-bearings onto a tin plate. The sound starts immediately when the car is first started, and then it stops (doesn't fade or lose rapidity) as the engine runs a bit. But if I rev the engine, it will rattle again at the higher rev. As the engine runs longer, I have to rev the engine higher to get the rattle. Eventually, after 4 or 5 minutes, it will stop altogether and remain silent even when I rev the engine a lot. If I shut the car off for a few hours, it does it all again.

It's not a fan-belt "screetch" as I know what that is. This is a noise that I've never heard a car make before, but it obviously needs looked at. A search of this forum reveals that maybe the A/C Compressor or Clutch is bad. The A/C hasn't worked for a long while, and it's been giving a DIC message about Low A/C Charge, but that's been true for as long as we've had the car (which hasn't been very long). The sound, however, just started yesterday.

Do you think it is the A/C, or might it be something more serious? What might it be and how might I find it?
:eek:

·
Registered
3,887 Posts
Its the clutch bearing for your a/c compressor. Whenever your a/c compressor engages the clutch it will stop. This happened to my car just recently until the compressor seized up. $1100 to fix.

If you want a/c, get a new clutch for the compressor and recharge the system. Otherwise you might want to get a shorter surpentine belt put on there to bypass the compressor. The belt I have on my car bypassing my compressor is #5060755, although I think #5060745 (you might want to write these numbers down because they are not in any auto parts store's databases (that I know of anyway)) might be a better fit. Im, not sure if you are even able to bypass your compressor though because the position of the pullies on the N* engine might have changed through the years.

Here is a picture of the positions of the pullies on my cars' engine. If yours differs in any way, don't put a shorter belt on (unless of couse you know it will work). Also if yours differs in any way, those numbers will likely be the wrong size.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, as stated above. The A/C compressor clutch is going out. Mine only lasted about 300 miles before it started spitting metal filings out the front of the compressor and then started to smoke and really get nasty.

You must either re-route the serpintine belt or replace at least the clutch on the compressor.

You can find a new compressor on ebay for around $300.00 (A/C Delco) but if you replace it also replace the reciever/dryer (silver can). The exspansion valve is also recommended.

Do it soon, mine failed on my wife going to church with my 2 girls (5 and 7). That is 1 headache that you don't need.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It turned out that it was indeed the A/C Compressor and/or Clutch. I feared that a catastrophic failure might take out other items and/or strand the car somewhere, so we got it fixed immediately. I would have done it myself, but A/C requires special tools and equipment which I didn't have, although I am EPA-Certified for working on A/C systems.

Cost: 1600 bucks. New Compressor, Clutch, Dryer, Orifice, Condenser, and flushed lines... the whole shootin match. Now it works GREAT!

Oh! And that awful rattle is gone too. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
Rock