Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

where the heck is the oil filter located on my '97 eldorado ?

I can't see it from the top.. I can get my body a little under the car, but not much room.., i can't see it there ??

where is it ?
will a regular old oil filter wrench get it off, or do I need one of those fitted socket types ?

thanks,
kevin

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
kevinrea said:
hi guys,

where the heck is the oil filter located on my '97 eldorado ?

I can't see it from the top.. I can get my body a little under the car, but not much room.., i can't see it there ??

where is it ?
will a regular old oil filter wrench get it off, or do I need one of those fitted socket types ?

thanks,
kevin
The oil filter is only accessible from under the car. It's almost dead center, between the oil pan and the cradle. There is an indentation in the oil pan where the filter is. You'll be able to feel it if you reach back there, but make sure the car has cooled enough that you won't burn yourself. I usually get them out by hand with a piece of sandpaper. The socket-type oil filter tool would work best. There's really no room for one of the sling-type tools.

Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
Like Mike, I use my hands to remove and replace the oil filter. Instead of sandpaper, I use grip gloves. Definately no room for those old style filter wrenches. First time I changed the oil on mine, I tossed that old filter wrench from under the car across the front yard. Talk about a pain the neck. It had a knuckle in it, so I thought it might work. No.

·
Registered
2004 Escalade, 07 Road King, 08 Challenger SRT8
712 Posts
Oil filter sticks straight down, as McCowden says. It has a shroud around it, so the socket-style remover is the best.

With the car on ramps, it will be readily apparent, and easily removed with the socket style removing tool. By "Socket Style", I mean the kind that fits over the end of the filter, like a hat, and then you turn it with a wrench or a ratchet handle. With ramps & the tool, it's a piece of cake. Way easier than the 4.5 filter location....

You want to be off to the side a little when you do it, as some oil will flow out and around and straight down as you remove the filter.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys..
i found it... at the very front of the engine compartment in the center.
i used a large pair of channelock pliers to grab it.
worked just fine.

kevin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts