Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac Eldorado
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Eldorado ETC with 110k miles. Last Thanksgiving it was using water and I found a pin hole in the radiator. Replaced the radiator and hoses. It used no water for about 1000 miles.

The problem: I have to put a coolant bottle of water in it every 200 miles. I know when I hit that mark the check coolant display comes on, without fail.

The water pump doesn't leak. I can find no leaks under the car after it has been driven. No white smoke. The temp gauge is always pegged dead center and doesn't run hot. No oil in the coolant tank. I drive it in stop and go hot weather Texas rush hour traffic daily with no problems, so far. It gets 20 mpg in the city.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado Biarritz
451 Posts
Are you putting in straight water, no coolant? I hope not. If so is it at least distilled or purified? There is more to coolant than just thermal protection. There are buffering agents, seal conditioners, cavitation inhibitors, and corrosion inhibitors. As to your concern. The lower coolant manifold seals have a habit of either leaking very slowly or leaking onto the transmission and not leaving any trace on the ground. That would be my first suspicion.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,272 Posts
I have a 1997 Eldorado ETC with 110k miles. Last Thanksgiving it was using water and I found a pin hole in the radiator. Replaced the radiator and hoses. It used no water for about 1000 miles.

The problem: I have to put a coolant bottle of water in it every 200 miles. I know when I hit that mark the check coolant display comes on, without fail.

The water pump doesn't leak. I can find no leaks under the car after it has been driven. No white smoke. The temp gauge is always pegged dead center and doesn't run hot. No oil in the coolant tank. I drive it in stop and go hot weather Texas rush hour traffic daily with no problems, so far. It gets 20 mpg in the city.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance
=====================
you can "rent" a cooling system pressure test kit for free from autozone -

with a COLD engine -
coolant to the FULL COLD line -
pump it up to 20PSI - and let it sit overnight -

the system should hold that 20PSI forever -

if it bleeds down - you obviously have a leak -

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
You obviously have a leak that is evaporating before it drips and shows itself. As advised, an overnight pressure test should help solve the puzzle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts