Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

I am trying to recharge the AC in my '97 eldorado.
i cleared the codes., and the compressor is running.
I have ac gauges connected to the proper ports.
It just stays at about 65 pounds on the low side, and it does not seem to be sucking new freon any more.
when i first started doing it., it did suck the freon., but now it is not doing it.
and I am sure that the compressor is running.
I can pull the wire off the low pressure switch and it stops.., put it back on and it starts.

any ideas ?

thanks,
kevin
[email protected]

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how do you set the ac control panel to max/hi ?

i have the fan set to high, and the ac is on.../???

i do not think that 65 lbs is too high for a low side.
i have charged many cars., and they usually are significantly higher than that..
kevin

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
The fan should be on high with the a/c in auto. The temp should be dialed down to as cold as you can go.

65 is way too high for the low side. Either the refrigerant isn't circulating or the pressure is too high in the system. If it isn't circulating then it will read high. But that would be an inaccurate reading of the system. It must be distributing throughout the a/c system.

Low side pressure should be around 35 psi.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
one strange thing though... i am not able to get a reading of pressure from the high side...

does that point to anything ?

and intially, i did have my dash computer telling me that the freon was low and it was turning off the ac..

thanks,
kevin

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Sounds like you ARE low on freon. Try it again and see if you can get some freon into the system before it shuts down. Have everything hooked up and ready to go before you turn anything on. If you still get no reading on the high side, perhaps the compressor already started to disintegrate and plugged up the orifice tube, reducing or blocking pressure to the high side.

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
and I am sure that the compressor is running.
I can pull the wire off the low pressure switch and it stops.., put it back on and it starts.
If this is true, the compressor might not be compressing.You could also check the orifice tube like Ranger said. If you need to go as far as that and open the system, then be sure to pull vac on the system before buttoning it back up.

·
Registered
2001 STS
1,575 Posts
kevinrea said:
..........i do not think that 65 lbs is too high for a low side.
i have charged many cars., and they usually are significantly higher than that..
kevin
So sounds like you know what your doing
kevinrea said:
nope.. not me guys.
if it's into taking the stuff apart..
it's going to the dealer.

thanks,
kevin
Oops spoke too soon.
Please play safe :dammit:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts