Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys..,
anyone have all the steps they could list for replacing the radiator in a 1997 eldorado ?

thanks,
kevin

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
1st remove the plastic cover up top
2 remove the upper rad hose
3 unplug and remove the cooling fans
4 remove the lines and lower hose
5 unbolt the rad
6 pull it up

its a pretty easy job not really hard!

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac Eldorado ETC & 1994 Pontiac Firehawk
1,158 Posts
Umm lets see, I had to remove it when I changed my alt. Remove the cover, remove the intake, unplug all the hoses connecting to it, remove the 2 fans behind the radiator, and anything else that is connected, unbolt and lift up. You gotta unbolt the front part of the mounts too. Buy a service manual at autozone for $20 it will let you know the basics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok question for you guys... the above mentioned steps are fine and great for changing radiator in anything other than an Eldorado, but seeing as how I am trying to change the radiator in an Eldorado - I am hoping someone can elaborate, preferably someone who has actually worked/experienced hands on vs in theory.
Here is what I have done so far...
1) remove the plastic cover up top
2) remove the upper rad hose
3) unplug and remove the cooling fans
4) remove the lines and lower hose
5) unbolt the rad
<<<<<< INSERT ISSUE HERE>>>>>>
6) pull it up (CAN'T GET TO PULLING UP SINCE MOUNTS ARE IN WAY)

Can't pull up on radiator to lift out due to motor mount in the way. Also there are lines that run beside the radiator that are braced/bolted to it. Trying to figure out if I have to remove the motor mount to get the radiator out or if there is a work-around to allow me to slip it out without removing motor mount.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,326 Posts
What year Eldorado and this dead thread IS about an Eldorado (1997) radiator.

"Lines" may be transmission cooler and they must be correctly disconnected and the fluid cooler drained.

The "motor mount(s)"you speak of - probably the torque struts (dogbones and, yes, they must come off. They support nothing - they prevent excessive engine movement upon application of full throttle acceleration. Not a worry with the engine off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts