Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody, I just signed up and I hope I'm in line with all the forum guidelines.

I've been dealing with this issue for months and I've been to multiple mechanics and I'm at wits end. My car has been giving me a range of codes; P1645, P0441, and now P1441. I've replaced the charcoal canister, the gas cap, the purge solenoid twice, and reseated the purge valves. Now my current mechanic is telling me I might need to replace the computer. To be honest, I can't really afford to dump any more money into this thing. Has anybody else had a similar problem that might be able to offer some advice or experience?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,998 Posts
Hi everybody, I just signed up and I hope I'm in line with all the forum guidelines.

I've been dealing with this issue for months and I've been to multiple mechanics and I'm at wits end. My car has been giving me a range of codes; P1645, P0441, and now P1441. I've replaced the charcoal canister, the gas cap, the purge solenoid twice, and reseated the purge valves. Now my current mechanic is telling me I might need to replace the computer. To be honest, I can't really afford to dump any more money into this thing. Has anybody else had a similar problem that might be able to offer some advice or experience?
==========================
always include the code definitions -
no one has them all memorized -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,382 Posts
Is the EVAP test port cap in place ? A green screw cap on the EVAP line from the purge solenoid near the TB. Also, is the fuel filler pipe rusted out - fuel smell after total fillup ?

Your car uses the OBD-II diagnostics protocol. Use this URL (bookmark it) to decipher and post the definitions of your codes.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/dtccode.html

Welcome to the Funny Farm !!! :highfive:

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry.

P1645 - Evap Emission Vent Solenoid Control Circuit
P0441 - Evap Emission Control System Incorrect Purge Flow
P1441 - Evap Emission System Flow During Non-Purge

I originally had the P1645 when this whole thing started. After replacing the purge solenoid at the first mechanic (which I just found out last week was replaced with a defective one originally) and reseating the purge valves, and replacing the charcoal canister a bit later, I finally decided that my first mechanic didn't know what he was doing. At the new mechanic they pulled only P0441. They've replaced the purge solenoid again, replaced the control solenoid, and the gas cap, and he was pretty confident they had solved the problem. But it cycled and the new code P1441 showed up. Now he thinks it's the computer and wants to charge me the diagnostic fee again to check the exact same parts of the emission system that he just "cleared".

I'm not sure about the test port cap, I actually don't know where that is located. The last time I worked on a car myself, it was my old Firebird from the 80s. The Cadillac is pretty confusing and busy by comparison. I don't think there's any rust, I don't smell gas when I fill up and the car is very low mileage and was kept in a garage until I moved a couple months ago. Also, I'm in Southern California, so rust isn't a common problem.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,382 Posts
Your EVAP vacuum diagram would be located in either the real GM/Helm service manual set (www.helminc.com) or in a subscription to www.alldatadiy.com - that's the GM service manuals plus a LOT more.

As posted, the EVAP test port is usually on the line from the TB back to the canister - it should have/be capped with a green plastic cap similar to a tire valve (Schrader) cap. Your EVAP solenoid may be divorced from the TB - trace out the purge line.

This is for a 2000 and later Northstar, but you'll get the idea.............. nothing is simple in these cars, and if you're going to avoid many U-turns in diagnostics and repair attempts you'll need to become a very informed owner.

You might want to become familiar with the sticky threads on the main Seville/Eldorado and Engines; Northstar pages - stickies contain timeless, necessary info.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts