1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My first post here.

I just bought a 1997 Eldorado with about 65k miles on it. I get the "Stop engine - Low oil pressure" problem when I'm under 1500 rpm and been driving for 15 minutes.
I've searched the forum and found several solutions to the problem. One being replacing the oil pressure switch/oil sending unit. Another one being switching to the Rotella 15W-40 oil, and since I'm in Florida that could maybe be the cheapest and easiest solution?
I'm a bit confused about what to start with first?

Your thoughts are much appreciated :).

Thanks

·
Registered
2001 ETC Sequoia
878 Posts
The switch is inexpensive, easy to change, and is likely the correct long term solution to your problem.

Regards,
Warren

·
Registered
Cadillac
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your answer.

I've been looking on the AC Delco site to find the right switch.
Is it # PT374 CONNECTOR,SW-ENG OIL PRESS IND I need?
I can see there's also a 2-way FEMALE BLACK M/P 150 CONNECTOR,SW-ENG OIL PRESS IND #PT149.

Which one should I buy?

Thanks

·
Registered
Cadillac
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your answer.

I've been searching the forum and acdelco site for the switch, but can't find it.
Does anyone have a part no. for it?

Thanks

·
Registered
2001 ETC Sequoia
878 Posts
Don't waste your time looking for it online. The shipping and handling will double your cost.

Just buy it from your local AC Delco parts house. They won't require a part number; just a description.

Regards,
Warren

·
Registered
Cadillac
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi guys,

I changed my oil pressure switch but I still get the damn "stop engine - low oil pressure" warning.
Should I do an oil change to the Rotella 15W-40?

Thanks

·
Registered
Cadillac
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just to let you know:
I changed my oil to a 15W-40 and haven't had the problem yet.
So far it looks good!

·
Registered
1996 STS
105 Posts
If I was you I wouldn't just leave it at the oil change, even though your error message has disappeared something is causing that problem to occur as these engines should run (with no codes) on 10W30 or lower. There could be many reasons for that, just my 02.

·
Registered
Cadillac
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm, yes I see your point.
Would a new oil pump fix the problem? I've just heard that's a pretty expensive part and I won't be able to change it myself. So I don't know....
Will the 15W-40 oil cause extra wear to the engine?

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts