Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since April I have had some small issues turn into larger issues and cant even begin to figure out what needs to be changed. First I noticed that my interior dome lights come on with my headlights when set on the sentinel automatic on, and even when it is not on and I am using my switch to turn on the headlights. Even when the headlights are off and it is dark the interior lights still come on when I start the car. I drive to work early in the morning illuminated all the way. They dont go off until the lights go off automatically. Next my seat memory turns on the AC or turn it off. It does not adjust my seats. My driver seat motor does not adjust the seat nor does it make a sound. The passenger seat is fine. My ABS and Traction control lights are on all the time. The car never locks when it goes in gear anymore. The radio no longer stays on until you open the door after turning off the key. It doesnt remind me that the signal is still on after driving a mile as it use to. The back bounces to my tire it seems when I hit a bump in the road. I dont think all of these things go out and need replacing simultaneously like that. I am hoping there is something I can change to get the electronic memory back.

Could all of these issues arise due to a bad Electronic control module or something? I need any comments or help you all can provide. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
You've got alot of stuff going on with your eldo. Lets start with the interior lights. There's a little button on by each door hinge, when the doors shut, it gets pushed in, when they open, it releases, that button tells the car when the interior lights should be on. Look around the door sill and the hinges, it has a little spring, you should be able to find it. Check to see thats its working like it should. I would also check the headlight switch itself, and the sensor on the dash for the auto headlights, the trim piece just pops out and then the sensor just twists out like a headlight bulb would.

The memory seat turning on the a/c is really weird, almost like the wiring is hooked up wrong or there's a short somewhere. Tracking done electrical problems isn't fun or easy, may have to talk to the dealer on that one.

The abs/traction light is most likely a bad wheel speed sensor, if you pull the codes (write up in the tech tips section) it should tell you which wheel the sensor is bad on, pretty sure you have to change the entire hub assembly, believe the part is around 400.

Driver seat motor may have crapped out, or the wiring to it has shorted out (may be related to your a/c issue)

Again, pull the codes and it will tell you ALOT about whats going on with your car. Usually when caddys have alot of electrical issues the battery is on its way out, or you have a bad ground wire somewhere. Good luck, post your codes, hope this helped

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Misfit794. I have been asked by the dealer to bring it in and pay the 120.00 for diagnostics and they will tell me all about it. I was hoping to hear from this site, that i needed a control module of something so I could add that 120.00 to the purchase. I think at this juncture, I need to visit the dealer and pay the small price for the diagnostic information and maybe I can read what is wrong and see if I can fix them before having them do it. Take care from Dallas.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I absolutely hate paying someone to diagnose and work on ym cars, but in this case, its probably the best way to go. WHen you have several different (could be related, maybe not) electrical issues they can be a huge pain in the a** to find the source. 120 is a little high, you can usually get diagnostics for about 80, or you can pull the codes from the dash yourself for free.

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again misfit6794. You appear to be a pretty smart young man. I will spend time this weekend trying to get those codes. I will print out an owner manual from the internet and see if it can guide me. I have a diagnostic tool that only tell me about mechanical codes, not electrical. I have also heard that you can push a few buttons here and there on the dash or AC and get some other trouble codes. My main confusion is that all of this began to happen over a short period of time, and one item or area at a time. This long weekend should help me get a handle on it. Thanks again for your response.

·
Registered
1996 STS (181,000) Arnott Struts, 245/45/ZR18, 1" Drop -SOLD
1,589 Posts
Do you know how to get the codes to show for you?
Do you know where to find the online Owner's Manual?

If you need help, let me know because I have it all.
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Definetly pull the codes from the dash, you hold the warmer and cooler buttons together until the dashboard goes all green, then the codes will start scrolling where the info messeges are displayed. Post the codes on the forums, someone will tell you what they mean.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts