Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 eldo,2011 cts-v
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my eldorado has 58,000 miles on it. My radiator recently blew the side tank off, never overheated etc. thermostat went bad. is it absolutely necessary to add the sealant tabs and the bar leak? because it was not done. And also does the hg have to be bad to have a leak? Can the intake manifold leak or crack? and what does it cost to have hg done at dealer?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,626 Posts
No you do not have to add the sealant tabs. GM even quit using them.

And also does the hg have to be bad to have a leak?
What kind of leak are you talking about, internal or external? If it is internal and you are loosing (burning) coolant, it's the HG. The intake manifold is dry. There is no coolant running through it like many other V6 and V8's.

Can the intake manifold leak or crack?
Sure it can crack, but it's not very common.

what does it cost to have hg done at dealer?
About $3500 - $4000. Where are you located. I have 2 contacts here that will do it for about $2200. I think Jake is at about the same price. http://www.northstarperformance.com

·
Registered
97 eldo,2011 cts-v
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is an external leak. when i pull out of my garage there is a puddle of antifreeze. Now its ironic that this has happened after i had the radiator replaced. I am located in NYC. Where are the contacts located and are there any in ny? Do the cadillac dealers use the same kits that northstarperformace? and do they go thru the whole motor soup to nuts?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,007 Posts
If the coolant leak is external, it's not from head gaskets. Cadillac dealers do not normally use Jake's studs (Northstar Performance) - they use the GM-approved Timesert block bolt hole insert kits. No one will go through the engine "soup to nuts" - it isn't required - the lower end is bulletproof, and unless you have a serious halfcase seal leak disassembly of the rotating assembly is pointless and hellishly labor intensive ($$$$). The head gasket replacement alone takes time and work: the entire drivetrain comes out the bottom of the car and the heads are removed and the block bolt hole work done while still on the drivetrain cradle. It's the bolt hole threads which fail, causing the head(s) to lift and then gasket failure.

·
Super Moderator
86,626 Posts
As Sub said, an external leak is not a HG and will be MUCH cheaper and easier to fix. You just need to locate it.

·
Registered
97 eldo,2011 cts-v
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mechanic is saying maybe the coolant tank. had it up on the lift head gasket was dry. have no clue where leak is coming from. found the compressor going bad now to.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,007 Posts
Yours would not be the first with a crack at either the lower reservoir hose connection or at the purge line nipple on the top side of the tank itself.

·
Super Moderator
86,626 Posts
TIP:
Dried Dex leaves a telltale whitish chalky residue when dried.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts