Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I've cycled through two tanks of fuel, the Eldo is running better after the contamined gas incident. However, I think this would be a good time to change the fuel filter. I just broke 60k this weekend, and after reviewing all the records from the car, it seems the filter has never been changed. I've searched previous posts, but can't find the location of the fuel filter for a 97 (or newer) Eldorado. Secondly, is there only one fuel filter, or will I have to change several of them?

My 2nd observation was made about 20 mins ago when I felt ambitious, and pulled the plugs one-by-one off the coils. Some of the "points" looked great, while 2 of them (the number 3 and number 8) points looked encrusted in corrosion & crud. I did my best to clean them, but I'm sure the inside of the wire boots are equally dirty. Does this call for a complete wire change? Would just a bit of mild corrosion & grit on the coils (and tips of the spark plugs, for that matter), cause a slightly rough idle/hesitation condition?

My gut is telling me to stop being cheap, and to do a "tune up" on this car.

Last question - (I promise!) When changing the plugs, is it recommended to use anti-sieze on the plug threads, and di-electric grease on the plug tips?

Thanks again for all the help - the amount of information I've learned about Northstars & Cadillacs from this forum has been incredible!

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
Since you're at 60k, get new plugs and wires. They can certanily cause the problems you describe. There is only one fuel filter, and it is located under the car. not exactly sure where though. If you change it, make sure to depressurize the fuel lines. Do this by pulling the fuel pump fuse and starting the car. After the car stalls, there is STILL some pressure in the lines, but it is much safer. Definitely use anti-sieze. Its a good idea all of the time, but it is a definite with aluminum heads.

·
Registered
94 ETC,97 STS
3,531 Posts
1) If you havn't found the fuel filter yet follow the fuel lines back to the tank and you will find it.

2) I'd recommend replacing the wires and plugs. The cost of doing it yourself is reasonable and you should get a little better gas mileage which will offset the cost.

3) Definitely use both the dielectric grease and the antisieze.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts