Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
97 deville
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok have had this thing for a year. knew it burned oil bad when i got it (94,000) (about 2 qts a tank) didnt care as price was right on car and is in fabulouse shape in and out. well now i just get done redoing the suspension and go figure now i have head gasket going (sudden slight coolant loss over last few months, now a miss on startup, long cranks to start and coolant smells burnt, also running hotter than normal used to always run a steady 199-202, in dec started running 206-210 and now it does 206-215 and up to 226 idling in traffic) soooooo now i have a problem. car has 118000 on it. i never could figure out what exactly was the cause of the oil loss, pcv valve was changed(previous owner had it at gm to try the cylindar cleaner) compression on the cyls was 120-150. do i do the head gaskets, find a motor? or possibly junk this thing? its so beautiful but a used motor is absolutly redic priced. blue book is only around 3500 on this and now what work ive done to suspension and other things, and yes i know its typical maintance for the most part(plugs, wires, tires, brakes all around, frt struts and rear air shocks(arnott :) both ball joints, tie rods alignment, alternator) and fixing the motor ill be right at its value (i do all my own work). this thing is starting the nickel and dime bit. i really dont have the money to fix but dont have the money to buy something else and begin the money pit game all over. any suggestions? thx

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,155 Posts
Tough choice only you can make. The only advice I would give you is not to install a used motor. You could end up in the same position in the future.

·
Registered
97 deville
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
problem i have with doing a head job is couple things, a. fix heads still have oil consumption problem. 2. change motor with a motor with 68,000 miles and its only an added couple hours labor to change it. cost of motor is practically same as a head job...........

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
changed motor will probably need a head job down the road... fixed motor won't ... how much money is peace of mind worth?

oil consumption is normal as long as it's not more than a quart every 1,000 miles
also make sure you're not overfilling the oil - full is almost to the bottom of the dipstick
it will consume a lot more oil if it is overfilled

make sure you read the whole technical archive (link is up in the black header on top)

·
Registered
97 deville
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it uses 2.5 qts of oil per a tank of fuel, i would have to say thats just a lil excessive and when you first start it in the morn and take of u leave in a cloud of blue smoke, great in the summer when repelling the bugs lol. what really sucks is now i have to do something low coolant warning came on this afternoon, and i just filled the system up a week ago. coolant isnt exactly cheap .

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
well that's a lot of oil leaks/consumption... do you know where that oil is going?

i would guess most is leaking out the bottom end - N* has a notorious lower block seal leak ... yours is one of the few that gets pretty bad... most aren't really much to worry about (especially when you find out how much labor is involved in fixing it correctly)

you've also probably got head bolts pulling out of the block and you're burning coolant (which is the smoke you see when you gun it)

luckily for you when you've got the engine out of the car to do the head gaskets you can fix the lower block seals too!

·
Registered
97 deville
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i know 100% its burning the oil you can not only see blue not white smoke before the head problem, but you could also smell the oil out the tail pipes. also car really doesnt have much as far as oil leaks underneath believe it or not

·
Registered
1998 Deville
710 Posts
Unless someone ran it dry on oil, and with no oil on the driveway, I'd have to guess it is top end and coming through the valves. A MUCH easier fix. Not sure you want to put $3500 into a car that will be worth, $3500 when you are done. If you like it and plan on driving it awhile, probably worth the expense if you are doing the work yourself. HGs are $1k if you do the work.

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
Ranger's got it right, the decision is only yours. A Deville with a leaky HG to me is worth $0. My dad gave me his Deville with the HG problem, but I had it fixed for $3100 at my dealer, 1) Because I was in love with the car ever since he got it, and 2) You can't find a good used car anymore. At last with the Deville you know its other quirks and issues, you may even consider having the oil problem fixed while the engine is out getting the Head Bolt problem fixed.

It's a tough choice, I won't argue that.

·
Registered
97 deville
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
wow that bolt kit is expensive..... it wont cost me anywhere near 3100 to fix ( as i can do all the work myself) unless i where to get a rebuilt motor, which i found for 3700. id like to fix it as its either fix or get a diff car. trick is having money to fix it and deciding whether to get a low mileage used motor or fix this one......

·
Registered
97 deville
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
im gonna get her on the hoist this week and drop the engine. has anyone seen these motors cause of extreme oil usage be due to bad valve guide seals and or the actual hg?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,464 Posts
The oil consumption is either bad valve stem seals, you're trying to carry the oil at the top (full) mark, or the fact that the engine has not had the living snot run out of it: stuck compression rings.

Drive it like Granny and you get big problems.

·
Registered
97 deville
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
after reading this sight after i bought the car a yr ago i tried to always just keep the oil just touching the stick, but it would still burn oil bad, the light would not come on in the dash all the time, but i could hear the top end clatter so id have to add. as far as driving like a granny, not me lol i litterally drive it like a stole it lol so the ring theory idk if its the cause, at this point im hopin its just valve seals

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,464 Posts
i tried to always just keep the oil just touching the stick
Nowhere in this site does anyone recommend keeping the "oil just touching the stick" - that's just over a quart low. The oil level is proper when it's here (your stick wording may vary).............

<----- ADD XXXXXXXXXXX <--- OPERATING RANGE-------------------------O

1 - 16 of 16 Posts