Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac DeVille 4.6L
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys, has anyone ever changed the water pump pulley, just the pulley not the whole pump is cuz the belt burned the lines on it and now is all flat, not to be confused with the small pulley on the tensioner.

thank yall!!

-gerardo

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
73,500 Posts
The pulley is pressed onto the cam snout - TIGHT. You use either a set of GM puller/installer tools (hideously expensive) or a generic power steering pulley/installer kit from NAPA or one of the online tool sites - Northern Tool, for one.

That pulley has been worn smooth because there's something wrong with either the tensioner pulley (frozen) or the water pump itself.

Basically you use the groove in the metal hub to remove the pulley and the threaded hole in the end of the cam (black plastic cap still there ???) to press the pulley back on - DO NOT exert force on the plastic pulley itself - only use force on the metal hub and don't even think of a hammer........If you can't find an installer, a proper sized bolt, nut, and stack of greased washers can be used to press the pulley back on, working slowly and building the washer stack as you go.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you so much for the info, i think the black plastic u are talking about is not there anymore cuz i can see the threats at the end of the cam, ill try to barrow those J tools from my school and if they dnt let me then ill try to do it with the generic pulley puller from the auto parts.
i went yest to autozone and try to rent that tool but i didnt have the #s so they gave me the water pump puller socket so i went back i told them that was the wrong tool, all i wnted to do was change the pulley not the whole pump and the guy was like “oh, u dont change just the pulley, u gotta change the whole pump which already come with a new pulley”, i was like yes u can , and he goes no u cannot and if u say u can then good luck” i was like man f***k u! lol he pissed me off

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,163 Posts
He was correct IF you are talking about the water pump pulley. There are 3 pulleys involved, the water pump itself, the drive pulley on the intake cam and the tensioner pulley. Sub is talking about the water pump DRIVE pulley. If he doesn't have the puller, a P/S pump pulley puller/installer will work as well.

·
Administrator
73,500 Posts
yeah that...........^^^^...............print this and show it to the DeadZone Car Wizard.

FWIW, The water pump pulley itself is machined steel and is extremely hard to see, even with the safety shroud removed. If THAT pulley is worn smooth, you have a first in the Northstar world..............

·
Administrator
73,500 Posts
Is this the pulley you're referring to ?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no wonder why it was still turning with out the belt lol
i was runing the car without antifreeze so the water froze, i think thats what burned my belt, now since my w/p drive pulley is still working, does that mean my water pump is ok?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,163 Posts
No, what burned your belt is the tensioner pulley most likely seized and the belt & pump stopped turning, but the drive pulley being attached to the cam kept spinning, thus overheating and melting the plastic drive pulley. Water pump is most likely fine. Replace the drive pulley and check the tensioner pulley bearing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, thank you guys for all your help! ill try to fix that tmrw cuz we r having snow today here in dallas

·
Administrator
73,500 Posts
Water only ??? Below freezing ??? You're going to be extremely lucky if the block is not cracked on top of the water pump drive or tensioner problems.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hopefully nothing further than a burned belt and a damage pulley otherwise I'll be here soon

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,163 Posts
Remove belt tension. Remove water pump cover. Use special water pump socket to remove WP. About 1/16 - 1/8 clockwise turn on the socket will release the WP. Reverse procedure to instal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts