Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
None
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have 97 Deville, the car sat for a couple of years without being run. The car has a very long cranking time before it starts. I'm sure this is because of the old gas in the tank. is there a way to drain the gas without dropping the gas tank. Is it possible to siphon the fuel? Thank you.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
Re: 97 Deville

you could always get 2 good amounts of gas line, a universal fuel pump and a car battery to hook it up to. that works as a good siphon

·
Registered
None
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 97 Deville

I was under the impression that you can't get any hose down the fuel tank to siphon

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
Hm not sure for your particular car maybe someone else can weigh in. That's how I used to do it back in the olden days ha

·
Registered
81 supporter
458 Posts
how much gas is in the tank?? if its only a couple gallons i,d top it off with fresh gas and take it for a long ride
1/2 in drill bit works great too

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
I was under the impression that you can't get any hose down the fuel tank to siphon
I have had no luck with that in years.

Hi, I have 97 Deville, the car sat for a couple of years without being run. The car has a very long cranking time before it starts. I'm sure this is because of the old gas in the tank. is there a way to drain the gas without dropping the gas tank. Is it possible to siphon the fuel? Thank you.
I wouldn't be so quick to blame the gas. Do you have ignition? How about fuel pressure?

·
Registered
None
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The motor is getting spark because it will start eventually. And seems to run ok. Considering the old gas. Haven't checked the pressure yet. It will start up shortly after driven but if left overnight the long cranking time occurs. There is only four gallons of fuel remaining in the tank so I think I will do what was suggested and put some fresh fuel in it and go for a long drive and see what happens. This was my fathers car so I am anxious to get her back on the road. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
Check for a leaky FPR while you're at it. That usually affects hot starts more so than cold, but can't hurt to check.

·
Registered
None
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Already checked the fpr and test good. I'm going to rent pressure tester and see what pressure I'm getting and go from there

·
Registered
None
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I pressure tested the system today and this is what I came with. Key in the ON position the pressure builds to around 45 psi and drops to around 30 psi within 15 minutes or so. When try to start after around 45 minutes car fires right up. Fpr checks out good. If it was old gas causing the hard start problem I would think it would also be hard starting after sitting for a short time also. Could this be a fuel injector problem if so how would I tell which one could be failing? Thank you

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
You probably have a fuel pump check valve not seating completely, but a 15 psi drop in 30 minutes isn't even worth an honorable mention.

You can listen to each injector with a stethoscope to be sure they are functioning properly. Listen for the same rhythmic ticking. You could also use noid lights to test them.

To check if any are leaking, pull the fuel rail with the injectors attached. Cycle the key on (DO NOT CRANK) to pressurize the fuel system and see if any leak.

·
Registered
None
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I listened to the injectors with the long screw driver method, they all seemed to be in rythem. I put 10 gallons of fresh gas in the tank and I'll see how she starts tomorrow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts