Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Lac Deville
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first it was the head gaskets, now i get a 'service charging system' on the dash and the car doesn't have that whole push your body back into the seat power when i floor it(wot)...i just got my car back from the mechanic on wendsday the 18th, had the heads fixed, rethreaded the block, ect. So on thursday i bought sum H.I.D's n now today(friday) i get ''service charging system'' come up on the dash. I just bought an optima battery about 4-5 months ago so i dont think thats it. the driver's side h.i.d wont turn on sum times when i start the car after it has been sittin for awhile n i have to turn the light on/off for it to turn on. Is it because the alternator isnt give the lights enough power or did the H.I.D's mess up the alternator. I would take my car back to the mechanic but he is closed on weekends so i have to wait till monday....basically do u think its the alternator..n if it is did the mechanic mess sumin up, did the stereo shop that i got the H.I.D's from mess it up, or did it just mess up on its own(I think its the original alternator aka from 97)

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,994 Posts
When did the problem materialize? Right after the head gasket job or the HID install? That would determine who I would take it back to.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Sounds like you need one or two more people doing electronic mods on it. That way you will have something to do for the next 10 years.

Of course, no one will fess up to creating the problem. That is the Bill Clinton way.

·
Registered
97 Lac Deville
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well when i got the car from the mechanic i went straight to work n for sum reason the back lights stayed on, even the 3rd brake light n my battery died...called sumone up, got a jump n went home, disconnected the battery for bout 3-4 hours, hooked it back up n it worked fyn...i went around for bout 20 minutes n it worked fyn...the next day i went to the stereo shop to get the H.I.D's installed n my alarm reinstalled(cuz there were lots of loose wires from when they took out my motor)...when i was gettin in my car to leave the shop i remote started it n only one H.I.D light came on, so i went back in n then they fixed it(or so they say) so i left home...then when i was goin to go somewere at night the same thing happened(one h.i.d) then i turned the lights on/off then the other one came on.....went to work the next day(friday) n same thing(h.i.d)...left work, same thing...so i was goin back to the shop to tell them to either fix it or take them off if they gone keep doin that n on my way over there from my house(i went home to change) takin off the car seemed sluggish so i floored it n it didnt have its full power n then i got a SES light n the "sevice charging system" came up, so i looked at the battery volts on the DIC n they were very low, bout 11 volt n they kept gettin lower. So i floored it n it kept gettin lower, so i turned around n headed home n it was gettin slightly higher but then it started gettin lower again n by the time i got home it was around 9.6 volts...

·
Registered
97 Lac Deville
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
today i put jumper cables on it n my car wouldn't start...the volts were up to 12.2 volts(accordin to the DIC) n the car still wouldn't turn over..so now i think that its the alternator since even with a jump it still wont turn on...so now ima have to call up a tow truck to take it to the mechanic on monday...if it is the alternator should i get an a/c delco, could i get one from the junk yard, or should i get myn recoiled...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts