Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
97 Lac Deville
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i'm about 90% my hg's are gone on the car....the car overheats, its losin coolant, white smoke from tail pipes, 02 sensor codes pop-up from time to time, just changed spark plugs with ac delcos and is misfiring every once in awhile again, and if the car sits for about 1.5 n up hours the car struggles to turn....
basically i was wonderin if i dont change them soon will the engine become worthless(will i need a new engine instead of just heads) the engine has only 63,XXX miles on it.
i am plannin on changin them but i need about 1-2 weeks to get the cash together

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
Definetly sounds like a headgasket. You really should not be driving the car at all, and letting it overheat. Your oil is probably baked and is definetly full of coolant. You run the risk of cracking or warping the head and cracking the block. You won't find out how bad the engine is until you have it apart. I would suggest replacing the engine, it usually is only 1000-2000 dollars more than rebuilding it.

·
Registered
97 Lac Deville
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i doesnt completly overheat, it doesnt go into limp home mode. The temp just rises alot but when ever it goes around 220-230 i turn off the a/c n i goes back down.....I went to a lac dealership in houston(Tom Peacock) and they told me that they dont do head gasket replacements, but they could switch out the engine with a brand new, they told me it would be a newer version(dont know which one) for 7 grand...thats alot, i bought the car for 7,500.....

should i get the new engine or go somewhere else n get the heads done(do other dealership like chevy or ford work on cars like lacs??) i dont really know mechanics n dont really trust the little shops on the streets

·
Registered
97 Lac Deville
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so i just got off the phone with ALL the lac dealerships in houston and NONE of them are willing to attempt to replace the hg's on my year deville....one guy said that my engine is crap n that IF they were to replace them the bolts would eventually pull out again, and that the block is weak, and that they have done about 20 devilles n 25 of them messed up again(dont know how thats possible)

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
Headgaskets fail because the threads in the block for the headbolts are crap. Timeserts are the fix for this, they are bigger threads that get put in the block and almost never fail again. I don't know why the dealership does't use them, thats why they have such a big failed repair rate. There are companies that sell timeserted northstars that should be cheaper than what the dealer quoted you at. You won't know if the motor internals are damaged until you have it apart, if the car is in great shape, i would replace the motor.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,975 Posts
either these dealer make more money on a new motor or they don't know what they are talking about or doing (hard to believe). I can't imagine for the life of me why a dealer shop would not know about or use Timeserts. If you find someone willing to do the job, make sure that they are familiar with the Northstar and the Timesert procedure.

T

·
0 Posts
if I bought a new GM Nlorthstar Deville engine would it have factory timeserts? And do the new Cadillac Nothstar cars have factory tmeserts or does GM think they have the problem fixed without them? TexasCadillac

·
Registered
97 Lac Deville
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
at Tom Peacock they told me 5 grand from the head gasket repair(they said IF thats the ONLY thing wrong with them) or 7 for a brand new engine, they told me its the same engine but with all the new improvements(i guess that prevent the bolts from pulling out again). I dont know if that means a new 97-99 N* engine with timeserts or like a 07 dts engine(if those would even fit or be compatable) This time i talked to a different guy..i guess the 1st guy didnt want to do the repair cuz it would be way easier to just replace the motor then to take it apart n rebuild cuz he said they dont do that anymore....in fact ALL the other 3 dealerships said that.

so whut all should i ask them about cuz ima go back again tomorrow

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
Alot of techs DONT like doing this repair unless it is their SPECIALTY. This is why you got such an unfavorable response with your model year.

TexasCadillac, your best bet is not to buy a new engine, but rather to have it timeserted if/when it actually fails (which yours hasnt). It makes no sense to go out and spend 7-10k on a new motor if your not having problems now.

·
Super Moderator
86,975 Posts
if I bought a new GM Nlorthstar Deville engine would it have factory timeserts? And do the new Cadillac Nothstar cars have factory tmeserts or does GM think they have the problem fixed without them? TexasCadillac
No, they do not come from the factory with Timeserts. Timeserts are a thread "repair".

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
If horn works well, might be time to jack up horn and put a new car under it!!

Read a bunch of searches here before spending the $$. Lots of people here with similar problems.

T

·
0 Posts
damn those techs...lazy bastards
..........I guess the techs think the N engine, most of the time, will not blow the head gaskets before the warranty is out, so no reason to improve the engine like a 350 motor. The more I learn about my Northstar, the more I want another Fleetwood with a 350 engine. I never had to keep a close eye on my oil and water in my Fleetwood. Unless a car with a bad N engine is almost new, the car probably would be too costly to fix, which makes it a THROW AWAY CAR. Will a 5.7 fit in a Deville? It would be nice. TexasCadilac :)

·
Registered
97 Lac Deville
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so they now told that its just a new short block n they r goin to take stuff out of my old engine(cams, pistons,etc.) n put them on the new block for $7800....should i go this route?
btw sellin is NOT an option!

D

·
0 Posts
so they now told that its just a new short block n they r goin to take stuff out of my old engine(cams, pistons,etc.) n put them on the new block for $7800....should i go this route?
btw sellin is NOT an option!
A new short block will have pistons in it but I would just get a new long block personally. $7800 sounds very expensive but its your car and your call. Selling it would be the best option but since its not an option.................

·
Super Moderator
86,975 Posts
$7800 is WAY too high for a short block. You should be able to get a bran new complete engine from Mr. Goodwrench for that kind of money.

·
Registered
97 Lac Deville
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
they said bout 4500 for the short block and 3000 for the labor.....and they said that they dont sell my engine new anymore cuz there wasnt much demand for them.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.