Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1997 DeVille Concours, 1989 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m getting the service ride control light, I’ve read the codes stored and it says the trouble is in the front right wheel. Would anyone out there have a picture of some sort of graphic to help me locate that resistor or where the resistor should have been? My next question will be; where does one get a resistor, is it a standard part or some thing like a Radio Shack part, I know we no longer have Radio Shack, I still think in those terms. Thank you all once again for all the helpful information.

·
Registered
1993 DeVille
174 Posts
Re: 97 DeVille Concourse Ride Control Warning

Start with checking the wires behind that wheel.
Maybe something as simple as a chaffed/broken SRC/anti-loc wire or broken/disconnected plug.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
72,202 Posts
If the car had active suspension (F45/FE3) that has been changed to passive then there are jumper resistors in the wiring harness at each wheel. If the car has original passive suspension (FE1) then there are no resistors involved - the suspension dampers (struts & shocks) were not monitored in the passive systems.

Pull any diagnostic codes from the car's built-in scanner and, as advised, check the wheel speed sensor wiring. If the car has active suspension there will also be a wiring connector on the strut/shock.

Again - the only time there will be (aftermarket) resistors placed in the wiring is if the original active suspension has been changed to passive. The resistors are then used to fool the suspension controls into thinking there are still solenoids in the struts/shocks.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,866 Posts
There seems to be a discrepancy (at least in my mind) as to what you are talking ab out. You mention a "ride control message", indicating an active strut problem, but talk about a "front right wheel" code, indicating a wheel speed sensor. I think you should start by posting the codes AND their definitions so we can better help you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve got two codes that are noted as active, they are, C1716 RF Damper Actuator Actuator short circuit to ground and C1717 Damper Actuator open circuit.

·
Administrator
72,202 Posts
Up on a lift/jackstand, R front wheel off. Check the active strut wiring and harness to the body harness.

Suspension strut, wheel hub speed sensor.

Get the correct suspension code from the sticker under the spare tire cover. FE1 is soft, passive suspension/springs. F45/FE3 is the performance active suspension/HD springs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the F45/FE3 suspension. From the placard on the spare tire cover.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All those other codes cover the parts variations from when they buil the car? That’s great information. Where can I get a breakdown of there meaning.

·
Administrator
72,202 Posts
All those other codes cover the parts variations from when they buil the car? That’s great information. Where can I get a breakdown of there meaning.
Take out a $5 subscription to www.compnine.com - that VIN entry gives you a complete RPO build sheet for your car plus any 4 others.

Or Google "1997 cadillac rpo code list".

RPO = Regular Production Option = the codes that decipher into a build sheet. The numbers after each code description are the number of that MY Deville that came with that option.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The previous owner had the original struts and shocks replaced with a kit. I started getting the codes about six months later.

That sounds like great idea, thanks.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,571 Posts
do you still have original magneride struts or they had been changed to regular strut?
======================
the Deville never got the F55 MagnaRide suspension system -
in fact - the 2002 1/2 STS was the first to get the F55 system -

the Concours and DTS models did have the F45 - CVRSS - system -

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,571 Posts
The previous owner had the original struts and shocks replaced with a kit. I started getting the codes about six months later.

That sounds like great idea, thanks.
============================
The previous owner had the original struts and shocks replaced with a kit.
what you need to do is locate the original plug that attached to the original electronic strut
and stick a 4.7K ohm resistor in the socket -
this will fool the suspension computer into believing the electronic strut is still there and working -

if you just want to decode the RPO's yourself - go here -
http://www.cadillacfaq.com/rpo/

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got under the car and found the front right jumper, it was corroded and had water in the wrapping. The resistance value changed if it was move. Well that’s obviously NFG! I ordered a set of four 4.7k ohm resistor. Thank you for your help and information. Now on to other problems!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts