Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No AC blower today on the way home from work.
As if this is not bad enough, while I checking the info center for any issues everything went black.
The car keep running but I wasn't sure what happened, or what to do.
So I continued to drive and about two miles down the road the displays came back on, just no blower.
Everything else seems to work, any ideas?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Did you manage to get any DTC codes off the info center?

Try a search on the forum about ac, you may find some pertinent info.
I understand this is one of the components that commonly need repair/replacement in our cars.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't checked for codes yet, I'll try that tomorrow.

I understand to do that I push the OFF button and the top (warmer) end of the PASS rocker switch.

Also I checked under the hood and the AC is working, the lines are cold, just no fan.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Yup, have a pen and paper ready to jot down the codes as they scroll by.
you can use the fan speed up and down arrow to manuever around the menus.
Post back and we'll help you decipher whats what.

·
Registered
1995 Sedan Deville Spring Edition
268 Posts
Yup,

I'm betting a dead blower motor too. This happened to me, wasn't too big a deal to replace. One thing - you may not get any codes to indicate a blower motor failure, unless the 97 somehow can tell if the fan is running or not - I know my 95 BCM/ACP has no way to "detect" a blower malfunction, so you may not see any error specifically relating to this.

You likely will see a KAM (keep alive memory) reset error due to the temporary cluster blackout, but this is to be expected and is no big deal.

Also - be VERY careful removing the harness from the blower motor, the plastic connector and clip get brittle due to age and heat and the clip will break off rather easily, which will then require the installation of a service harness assembly. I should know - I was a bit overzealous when I did mine and had to drop another $40 on the harness and then splice it in.

Finally, make sure the spark plug wires are routed as far as possible from the blower motor harness, this is a common cause of blower failure, apparently the spark plug wires induce high voltage/interference in the harness and thus premature failure of the blower motor.

Good luck!

KDirk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your replies.
You guys a right no codes..
I need to find out how to test the system before I drop the big bucks on a new blower.
Speaking of blowers who's got the best price?

Ron

·
Registered
1995 Sedan Deville Spring Edition
268 Posts
Ron,

If you can find an independant auto parts store that sells AC Delco parts, you can get a blower motor there. I did this and saved at least $50 over the dealer (and he gives me a good guys discount, so in reality I probably saved more like $80) I think it ran me about $125.00 - it was about a year ago so I don't remember exactly

This motor has multiple GM applications, so it isn't a Caddy only part. Also, the new motor is redesigned from the original in the car, it looks a bit different and has fewer mounting holes, but will go right in and work like a champ.

One other thing [this may be obvious] don't run your A/C till you get the blower fixed. Since the air has nowhere to move without the fan you'll freeze it all up and may cause damage.

KDirk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts