Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Deville Concours
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'97 Deville Concours front shocks/shock mounts bad?

I have a 1997 Deville Concours and have been noticing alot of noise from the front end lately, so I took it into a TRUSTED mechanic who informed me that the front shocks (electric) and shock mounts were bad and need to be replaced. He gave me a quote of over $2000 due to the price of the parts mainly.

My question is:
Do I HAVE to use the top notch electric shocks that he quoted me around $900 a piece for? I will also be replacing the shock mounts and I have had someone tell me to just use regular shocks but wanted some advice about this before proceeding.

I obviously was blown away by this price quote but I have had alot of good experience with this mechanic and have never been mislead before.

Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Your Concours has an active suspension system (CVRSS). Each shock/strut has variable valving, controlled by an electronic solenoid. This valving varies the damping force (stiffness), based on input from many sensors throughout the car.

AC Delco replacements are $573 each on Rockauto.

Monroe also makes active replacements, $367 each on Rockauto.

If you replace the struts with passive dampers, it will trigger codes and warning messages. You can trick the computer into "thinking" their active, with a $1.19 pack of resistors from RadioShack.

·
Registered
1997 Deville Concours
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: '97 Deville Concours front shocks/shock mounts bad?

THANKS FOR THE REPLY!!! VERY HELPFUL!

But let me try to understand this further, i CAN install the regular shocks ( i think you called them passive dampers) but I will need to get electrical resistors?

Can you explain this a little further, as I am not exactly a mechanic and am trying to diagnose and do what I can to figure out my best alternative.

Thanks alot for your advice "Moistcabbage"

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
Dampers = shocks/struts.

Yes, you can install passive dampers. The resistors (4.7K ohm, 1/2 watt) are installed in the damper actuator circuit, so that the computer "thinks" the active dampers are still plugged in. Basically, you cut the wires coming out of the original strut, use butt connectors to install a resistor between the 2 wires, seal everything with heat shrink tubing, and secure the wiring out of the way of moving parts.

You will no longer have active suspension, but unless you drive the car fairly aggressively, you'll probably never notice.

·
Registered
1997 Deville Concours
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

This "active suspension" is probably something that most cars don't have anyways, so I'm sure it would be fine. Do you think this is the most economical resolution to this issue then?

These cars are meant to "cruise" anyways, aggressive driving is the last thing I am worried about, lol.

Outstanding advice bud! I appreciate your help and I am going to have my mechanic look into doing exactly this for me.
I will be sure to repost when/if I find a resolution to this issue.

·
Registered
26,323 Posts
STAX97DEVILLE said:
This "active suspension" is probably something that most cars don't have anyways,
Correct. The idea is to provide a comfortable ride when you're just cruising, and a firmer, more controlled one during "spirited" driving.

Do you think this is the most economical resolution to this issue then?
To replacing the struts' yes. However, worn dampers don't typically make noise. The mounts can, as well as a number of other things.

These cars are meant to "cruise" anyways
More or less. But the Concours is actually the "performance" model. Stiffer springs, 25 more HP, and a quicker final drive ratio.

Outstanding advice bud! I appreciate your help and I am going to have my mechanic look into doing exactly this for me.
I will be sure to repost when/if I find a resolution to this issue.
No problem. If you or your mechanic have any more questions, feel free to ask. We're here to help.

BTW, :welcome: . I didn't realize you were a new member.

Be sure to read the "sticky" threads at the top of the FWD Deville/Fleetwood page, and Northstar page. Also, go to the black tab at the top of the page, and click on the Cadillac Technical Archives. Read the ENTIRE page, LOTS of good info.

·
Registered
1997 Deville Concours
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Right on, well he did say the mounts are also bad so that is probably my noise issue.
I was unaware that the Concours was the "performance" model.
I will look into the rest that you mentioned, and I am new but plan to be around for quite a while :)

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,260 Posts

I have a 1997 Deville Concours and have been noticing alot of noise from the front end lately, so I took it into a TRUSTED mechanic who informed me that the front shocks (electric) and shock mounts were bad and need to be replaced. He gave me a quote of over $2000 due to the price of the parts mainly.

My question is:
Do I HAVE to use the top notch electric shocks that he quoted me around $900 a piece for? I will also be replacing the shock mounts and I have had someone tell me to just use regular shocks but wanted some advice about this before proceeding.

I obviously was blown away by this price quote but I have had alot of good experience with this mechanic and have never been mislead before.

------------------------MC is right on the money - as usual -

I would say - MOST people in your position will just go with the PASSIVE struts -
and MOST people will NEVER feel any difference - between active and passive systems -

Monroe has an EXCELLENT replacement kit for your car -
along with the new struts - it includes EVERYTHING except the spring -

so - regardless what part of the strut assembly is causing the noise -
it will be replaced -

this kit is Monroe 90011 - and the best price today is $155.10 -
YES - it is everything you need to replace BOTH front struts -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K80DO6/?ie=UTF8&me=ATVPDKIKX0DER

·
Registered
1997 Deville Concours
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, so I posted here about a month ago about my 97 deville concours having front suspension issues. I was instructed by a "trusted" mechanic that the issue I was hearing up front was the shocks and shock mounts, which was somewhat correct.
I researched these electronic shocks and, through the advice of some helpful gents on here, discovered I could replace these with the Monroe conversion kit for a fraction of the cost.
This has been completed.
This did not fix the problem.
I took it back after dropping over $700 into this kit/installation, and they said the end links were bad. They replaced them, free of charge, and sent me on my way.
The noise returned by the end of that afternoon.
The noise I refer to sounds to me like I am running over railroad tracks or a baby rattle every time I go over the slightest bumps or road imperfection, which is more noticable at lower speeds under 30mph.

I wanted to get some more ideas/insight into this problem in hopes that someone has had this issue before and/or knows what I am referring to.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,260 Posts
Bump for any advice? Lol :)
----------------------------------
step #1 - find a new TRUSTED mechanic -
you are being overcharged -

I took it back after dropping over $700 into this kit/installation
even if you DOUBLE the cost if this kit - that is still only $310 -
that means they charged you $400 labor to install 2 new struts -