Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving along and the dash went out then the car shut down no power any where! i got the towed back to work and changed the battery and nothing lights up.the only thing that comes on is the security light.The techs at work cannot pull codes from the car because it is dead. HELP!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
97 Deville
93 Posts
Haha lol!!!

Don't mean to laugh but this might help you since i had something very similiar happen to me and it took the techs at the dealer like 2 weeks to find out the hell was wrong so here is my little story.

I was in my hometown Miami, Fl and i was on the way to the airport with my wife to pick up my mother-law when i was in the terminal looking for the line my mother in-law i went over a speed bump and when the two front tires cleared the bump my car just turned off. So i was l WTF!!! so i tried turning the car back on and i then got the security light so after trying to start my car and check possible problems in the middle of the airport i gave up and called a tow truck. When i got to the dealer they did the basics thinking it was bad Pass-Key connection wrong. I then went on my honeymoon and two weeks and $530 later
i received a call from the dealer letting me know that i had a bad ground wire etc... Somehow they said that they way the groundwire had been setup was incorrect and must have been jerry rigged by the previous owner or a bad mechanic. The ground wire was about $10 but the 4 1/2 hours of labor was the they put a whole in my wallet. This happen to me May, 2006 haven't had any problems ever since.

I hope this helps Good Luck!!!!:rant2:

·
Registered
Cadillac
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok it's been a week and the tech at work still cannot find the problem!
new batt,checked all main fuses,all wires llok good.
funny thing,the lights come on,trunk opens,and when you put the key in and turn the security light flashes and you can hear the the fuel pump come on.
I really need some more input.
PLEASE HELP........

·
Registered
97 Deville
93 Posts
Well at this point i don't know what to tell you since mine was just a bad ground wire but if they haven't done have them check the contacts of your key since it does you the Pass-Key technology because that the first thing they checked with mine they checked and cleaned the key itself for the a possible bad contact when trying to start the car.

Good Luck!!! I hope they can find out whats wrong but like i said it was 2 weeks before i got my car back in this was in Miami, Fl.

·
Registered
1988 Sedan DeVille
89 Posts
There's a thread on here where a guy had something similar happen and it was a loose ground wire at the wheel or body, a loose screw. If you can find that post there are other ideas given to try.

·
Registered
Cadillac
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well after one week, they finally found it.It was the fuel pump shorting out the sending unit fuse.Thats what caused the dash to go out.It took them some time because they thought it was the sending unit from the fuses blowing,and getting stuck with the car a couple of times.
:worship:I would like to thank dave and joe @ daves caddilac repair in newark nj.
Big thumbs up to them.:thumbsup:
If anyone would like to use them heres the number and address.
daves auto repair
320 bloomfield ave newark nj 07107
973 485 9794'

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
Nice to see someone else from jersey, when your headgaskets blow, call nick at modern performance in long branch, one of the best shops in the state.

D

·
0 Posts
Nice to see someone else from jersey, when your headgaskets blow...........
What do you mean by WHEN they blow?. You say it like its expected. For every N* powered Caddy in a shop getting the head gaskets fixed, there are a whole bunch driving by the shop without head gasket problems. So there!. :bouncy:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts