Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1994 SLS
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my sts wont move more than 1-2 feet and brakes seem to lock up, gears engage both D and R but brakes just lock up even try powering forward and reverse, and its just not moving. I've had abs and traction control lights on for a while, actually have a replacement ebtcm in trunk but cant find out how to reprogram without going thru dealer in area i live.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
You're in the wrong forum. This one is for the newer AWD/RWD machines. You need to go a little lower down to the Seville forum for old sidewinders like yours.

·
Registered
1996 El Dorado and 1991 Cheyenne Pickup
140 Posts
If the car moves a little and then stops without you touching the brakes then I don't think it's brake related. Cars don't start braking by themselves, it's a hydraulic system with just the pedal building pressure via main cylinder. Sounds more like differential or some mechanical blockage to me... Look for obvious stuff first, how did this start to happen?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Cars do start braking by themselves, that's one way traction control stops wheel spin.

Sounds like the traction control is engaging when it shouldn't be. What ABS/TCS codes are you getting?

If you do need to replace the EBTCM, it requires no programming.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,794 Posts
Usually when the ABS or T/C fail, they are inoperative rather than engaged. Maybe you just have a hung caliper.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
If the issue is, say, a wheel speed sensor, the system will be active every time the car is started until the code is set. Up until that point it could be engaging.

·
Registered
1996 El Dorado and 1991 Cheyenne Pickup
140 Posts
Never seen tc engage by itself, abs yes, but that doesn't brake, quite the opposite... Also iirc there is a minimum speed for tc to start working. I'd check for some mechanical blockage first, calipers, rims, rotors...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts