Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2008 DTS. 2001 Jaguar XJR
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - need your help, please ...

on my 96 STS (152K) display shows "TRANSMISSION HOT" when ascending hills (Highway, Interstate) but shifts and works normally. After cooling down everything's o.k. - til next hill ... (however, no problems at all when street is flat)

Dealer changed ATF, filters and seals but trouble stays - nope going steeper grades :bigroll:

TIA,
John

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
First of all :welcome: to the forums! :wave:

Secondly, does it have any codes? Press and hold the OFF and warmer (red) buttons for about 5 seconds untill the instrument panel lights up. It will then display the codes. When it gets to "PCM?" you can either press the OFF button once to have it repeat the codes, or you can simply turn the key to the off position to exit diagnostics mode.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice, krashed - I'll give it a try. Also thanks for the warm welcome :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Allen, all ...

what I forgot to mention - when trany is hot it needs about 30 to 40 minutes time for cooling down and "TRANSMISSION HOT" to disappear.

Got four codes: PC0218 PC0603 IP2510 RS0011

It also reads: "NO ACM SDM TCS PZM IRC RFA CCP CODES"

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your great support :) , Ranger. My technician performed an extensive test yesterday, and he confirmed my very first suspicion - the trany is dying, slowly ...

Well, with 152K miles on the odo it has reached the end of it's service life, alas. That's not fun but o.k. for me since within a resonable range. In all those years the Seville never let me down, and I'm lucky since my only investment was a battery, brakes and tires - Cadillac is simply the top. Talk about the brand of excellence !!!
So old John is out for a new STS, now (well, almost new) :bouncy:

Many thanks, again
John

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,973 Posts
Happy hunting.

Cadillac is simply the top. Talk about the brand of excellence !!!
That ought to get Destroyer and Lenny Lincoln going.

·
Registered
94 Eldorado, and a 99 ETC
3,887 Posts
And ATF change was just 3 weeks back ...
You sure it was changed and not flushed? If it was flushed then they removed the cooler lines to hook up the machine, not to mention that a lot of 4t80e tranny's will die shortly after getting it flushed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Gents,

ya won't believe this - all that fuzz came just from a stuck thermostate :bigroll:
Now she's cool, again. Just glad I didn't trade her in ...

Thanks, again, from a more than happy John

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado, 2003 Audi RS6
1,320 Posts
Your thermostat did that? Interesting. Maybe these cars should have a secondary trans cooler. I've been thinking about doing that on mine for a while now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, it was my own fault. Never told my mechanic about timing - first cooling system went hot (cos of the stuck thermostat), and then, 10 minutes later, she displayed the "TRANS HOT" message.
Had I reported that timing thingy correctly we'd found the real culprit way earlier ...

However, my deepest respect to CADILLAC's Northstar engineers !!! Although I :banghead: (unknowningly) "abused" her engine and transmission for almost 15 moons by a more then inadequate cooling system, after removing the faulty part she's going strong as ever

1 - 14 of 14 Posts