Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'96 STS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 96 sts with the L37 (300hp) engine. it has blown the headgasket(s) or pulled the threads. still unsure which it is. debating a rebuild but unsure which would be an easier solution.
i was wondering if its relatively easy to swap in a newer engine out of a 2000+ sts. not sure what all the differences are between the years. are they any better headgasket wise or internally?
and to install a newer engine, what all would have to be changed physically and electronically?

Thanks
-Mike

·
Registered
'96 STS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
alright.. thanks.
yea i plan on doing the rethread kit if i build the engine.. just pricing out options. might just throw in another engine for the time being and keep the old one to rebuild and have ready when the gaskets blow on the other on. still debating what to do.
already have a shop that will do the swap (not including engine or other little parts) for $1200cdn.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,104 Posts
STS/SLS was FWD until the complete changeover in mid-2004 (2005 model year). The last FWD STS came off the line in June of 03, the last SLS in December of 03, therefore here are some SLS registered as "2004" because that series model year ran until late July/yr.

·
Registered
'96 STS
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
which kit is better for repairing the headbolt threads?
i like the idea of just having the studs that northstar performance has.

also i was told by a guy at work about rethreading the mains when i take it all apart. has anyone heard of this or know where i would look into getting those?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts