Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I recently purchased a 1996 STS, and am in complete love with the car. I have a pretty unstreetable 1999 Ws.6 trans am, and recently picked up my STS(always wanted one since i wa a kid). The STS has 108k on the clock, and immediately after buying it, i found this site, and began to READ/SEARCH. I really appreciate some of the helpful threads in here, as they helped me along the way. I've found the northstar motor from a bolt on standpoint to be relatively easy to maintenance. here's my rundown of maintenance i performed in the last day.

1) AC-Delco plugs(very easy swap...took as long to open the boxes as it did to get them in the car)
2) Fuel Filter- VERY simple. in my case, i didnt even need to jack up the car, just depressurized the system through the schrader valve on the intake, and used some needle nose pliers to pop off the existing clips *note-use the nipples that come with the new fuel filter to cap off the old filter while you change it out. It'll keep the gas spillage to a minimum~!)
3) removed/cleaned/degreased TB- VERY good MOD!!!! i gainged almost 4mpg, AND got rid of the sticky throttle problem i was having on initial acceleration
4) New TB gasket-duh.....why did GM not use a rubber gasket here? oh well
5) cleaned EGR valve, and lines(simple, not much difference noticed...guess it was ok already)
6) replaced PVC valve(it was like $2, who cares if it helps or not~!?)

Only problem i have now is the damn foglights wont work!!! the button in the car lights up when turned on, but neither foglight is working. All fuses in under hood are in good working order, and i dont know where to go from here. any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Also, one of my ignition keys seems to be losing its VATS system. the theft error message on the display, and refuses to let the car start. However, when i manually unlock the car with the other key set, it'll start with that set. Is there a Re-learn procedure or something i can do here?

Anyways, happy to be a part of the Caddy family, and can't wait to move into a STS-V oneday!:suspect:
Tim

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
Congratulations on your "new" STS! I love mine.
Since your thread title asks; "did I miss anything", I assume you are asking for other advice. I'm surprised that from your reading you didn't mention the coolant. If you don't know the history of the car, I suggest that you replace the coolant and add the recommended sealant.
Check your FPR too. It is probably okay but it's a easy inspection. You can mist your spark plug wires to test them.
Have you put a voltmeter to your foglights? Start at the sockets. Power there? Could both bulbs be out? Most likely a relay somewhere is bad but do the idiot test first!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
EcSTSatic said:
Congratulations on your "new" STS! I love mine.
Since your thread title asks; "did I miss anything", I assume you are asking for other advice. I'm surprised that from your reading you didn't mention the coolant. If you don't know the history of the car, I suggest that you replace the coolant and add the recommended sealant.
Check your FPR too. It is probably okay but it's a easy inspection. You can mist your spark plug wires to test them.
Have you put a voltmeter to your foglights? Start at the sockets. Power there? Could both bulbs be out? Most likely a relay somewhere is bad but do the idiot test first!

yea, im gonna do the coolant, tranny, and oil all at the smae time under the "fluids" job. the AC-delco stuff was enough of a kick in the groin for one day $$$ wise. the coolant is definately on the list though.

FPR-checked, and it's good, forgot to mention
foglights-haven't voltmetered them yet, i guess i'll pick up some new bulbs first, and try that out. Do you have the wiring diagram for the foglights so i can follow the wiring/relays by paper? i'd GREATLY appreciate it!

here's a pic of my STS(fiancee's A6 quattro is in the background)

Attachments

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
nice nice make sure to just drain and refill everything DO NOT i repeat DO NOT FLUSH THE TRANNY OR THE COOLANT!!!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CadillacETC1997 said:
nice nice make sure to just drain and refill everything DO NOT i repeat DO NOT FLUSH THE TRANNY OR THE COOLANT!!!
haha, yep, i read that tech archive already. Makes sense, a little anal, but it makes sense. is the 06 cars dex-cool(orange stuff) or regular(green stuff)??? I would have thought they were using the dex-cool stuff by now.

Also......Tint the windows, or no???? tinting the Audi's windows made it look 100% better, i just dont wanna take away from the STS's looks

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
1,164 Posts
Tim99ws6 said:
haha, yep, i read that tech archive already. Makes sense, a little anal, but it makes sense. is the 06 cars dex-cool(orange stuff) or regular(green stuff)??? I would have thought they were using the dex-cool stuff by now.

Also......Tint the windows, or no???? tinting the Audi's windows made it look 100% better, i just dont wanna take away from the STS's looks
Hi Tim -

I think you're doing fine with your maintenance work. The fluids as you mentioned are all important and you've got the right information to work with. As far as the coolant, they have all been using Dexcool (orange stuff) since 1996. The new 2006 cars also use Dexcool. There are lots of threads about proper cooling system maintenance. Let us know if you have any questions.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,198 Posts
Tim99ws6 said:
Also, one of my ignition keys seems to be losing its VATS system. the theft error message on the display, and refuses to let the car start. However, when i manually unlock the car with the other key set, it'll start with that set. Is there a Re-learn procedure or something i can do here?
Tim
Sounds like maybe a bad key. Measure the resistance of both key "pellets". If the one that is not starting is out of range, replace it. Do an internet search for GM VATS. There are several sites that will come up. Go to the one that is a PDF file. If I remember correctly, that one has the acceptable resistance ranges.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts