Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Seville STS
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there an easy way to disable the Seatbelt/Key/Lights Chime without affecting anything else?
That frantic bell chiming is really annoying, especially when talking on the phone. I would prefer to get in and go without any bells.
I removed the drivers door pannel expecting to find something to unplug, but instead it appears that the noise may be produced by the door speaker. When I unplugged the four wires which appear to go to the speaker the chiming went away and the speaker stopped working.
Does this bother anyone else or is it just me, and does anyone have a solution?
Jon
96 STS

·
Registered
1968 Cadillac Sedan deVille, 1994 Chevrolet G20
2,795 Posts
The chime is piped through the radio, so thers no easy fix like unplugging the buzzer. However, you can dummy out the switches. The headlight might be impossible,as I think it interfaces with the BCM, the ignition will be difficult, and the seatbelt will be pretty easy.

·
Registered
1996 Seville STS
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DaveSmed said:
The chime is piped through the radio, so thers no easy fix like unplugging the buzzer. However, you can dummy out the switches. The headlight might be impossible,as I think it interfaces with the BCM, the ignition will be difficult, and the seatbelt will be pretty easy.
Thanks Dave,
The rest of the story is that you are correct - it is easy to disable the seatbelt chime. There is a wire that goes to the seatbelt. It is easily accessible from the floor in the back seat. I unplugged the white plug that ran from the drivers seatbelt and the seatbelt chime is disabled. It appears that with this unplugged the car thinks the seatbelt is fastened. The seatbelt light on the dash goes out and the chiming stops.

The headlight chime is not a problem when the Twilight Sentenal is engaged - which in my car is all the time. The remaining issue is the chime for the key. Depending on where I am, I frequently leave the key in the car and am greated by a frantic chiming when I open the door. If I venture under the dash in search of a wire to the ignition switch which looks like it could trigger the chiming I will post the outcome.

Jon
96STS

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Usually the key chime is easy to get rid of once you start to work on the ignition switch. It usually is just a copper tab that gets pressed against ground when you put your key in. Be careful that you do not mess with your VATS (Key resistor) system too much when you do this though. I would also pay close attention to anything that is triggered by taking the key out. I know in some vehicles, when you take the key out it turns the courtesy lights on for 30 seconds. Not too important, but it might do something else too.

·
Registered
1996 Seville STS
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DaveSmed said:
Usually the key chime is easy to get rid of once you start to work on the ignition switch. It usually is just a copper tab that gets pressed against ground when you put your key in. Be careful that you do not mess with your VATS (Key resistor) system too much when you do this though. I would also pay close attention to anything that is triggered by taking the key out. I know in some vehicles, when you take the key out it turns the courtesy lights on for 30 seconds. Not too important, but it might do something else too.
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the info. I am going to look into the key chime further. I probably would not have removed the covers from below the dash to look for wires, but if I could access a switch or plug directly from the ignition switch I may give it a try. I also would not make any changes that could not be easily changed back. You could save me a trip to the library if you could explain how to access or remove the ignition switch.
Jon
96STS

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Not sure of the specifics on your car, but I know some general tips. If it is the solid GM column, where the column is round and usually made of pot metal, the steering wheel needs to come off, and you need to dig down under the turn signal switch. Not too hard once you're there, but not as easy as other designs. Most other designs have a plastic clamshell on the column, and they usually come out just by taking the plastic cover off, and depressing a small button with the key in the ACC position, while pulling the ignition out. the trick is finding the button, and the position that it depresses in. (Usually ACC)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts