Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
sts
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 96 sts seville with 70k miles, that I bought from my uncle, who is an elderly man. The car hasnt been ran in awhile, so it just sat and sat.

So I changed the oil and drove it for about 100 miles. During the 100 miles the car ran, but it missed, backfired, and idel funny.

I ran the codes and my local store......................

(egr)

(lean) (bank 1) and (lean) (bank 2)

(idel temp control) (??????????????????)

So this is what I did.........changed the plugs, wires, egr and itc or something like that (the screw in thing that goes into the air box, with 2 wire plug)

After I did that, the car ran super good, but It wouldnt idel right. Also my (idel temp control) wires are broke off right at the connector? So its not even plugged up?

After I replace the wires, egr, plugs, I took the car back to the auto store to have the codes read and it says Idel temp control ???? is reading high

any ideas, thanks yall:crybaby:

·
Registered
sts
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
would this (idel control temp) or intake temp control or something like that make my car run funny and a idel?

the part im taking about is the (screw in sensor) IN THE AIR BOX

the car idels the same with or without the connector hooked up? Is this normal?

The only code that the car is saying is (Itc) or Ict or someting like that

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,476 Posts
First and foremost read the sticky at the top of the forum page and learn to pull your own DTC's. No need to have anyone do it for you. Then post the codes and their definitions.

There is no "idle control temp". I think what you are talking about is the IAT (Intake Temperature) sensor in the filter box. That will affect your fuel delivery and mileage. Fix it. After that, clean the TB (Throttle Body). There is a tutorial in the Tech Tips section if you do not know how.

By the way, you could have cleaned the EGR valve instead of replacing it.

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado
2,814 Posts
Fix the air box sensor first, then look at the EGR.

On the air box The ACT sensor monitors the the air temp going in the airbox.

Get this sensor connected and it may solve the lean condition.

Are you running old gas? Run that crap out of there & get some good premium fuel in there.

The EGR is easily removed & cleaned & check the convoluted steel tubes for restrictions.

·
Registered
sts
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for help sorry, so I should clean the tb?

My wires are broke off the connector, so ( I dont know which wire to put on the left of the right)

Does the black wire go left side or the right?

I tried to push it in and have them both touch ( but there was no change)

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,476 Posts
Never hurts to clean the TB.

Not positive, but I don't think left or right matters on that sensor. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. You can get the pins out of the connector and reattach them to the wires. Been there, done that.

·
Registered
sts
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did ran it dry and put 92 in there. The car is running good, but when you slow down at a idel, it acts funny. But soon as you push the gas, it goes. (no backfire) runs like a dream, then you set a red lite, (it acts funny,(shaking kinda)

even tho the car is doing this at a idel, (it will not cut off) no matter how long you let it idel)

spark plugs- $20 bucks (denso platium)
spark plugs wires $80 bucks
erg $ 199 plus tax
intake sensor $22 dollars
92 octane $20 bucks

so i bought the new intake sensor but its not hooked up. (It also is a litte shorter than the old one) kinda like the redisigned it.

Also the danm egr was bolted to the fuel rail. (This site has alsome stickys and they let me know what I had ahead of me)

(it wasnt that bad, I was scared i was going to break the metal fuel rail.

It wasn't that bad, even for a noob, who's never touched the northstar, but always adrimed it from a far

·
Registered
sts
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
clean the throttle bodys mabey?

Sorry I left out one code because it went away when I changed the plugs.

THE CODE SAID " CLEAN SOMETHING SENSOR" (map --maybe) ........sorry its been a long day, and ive been tring real hard to fix this car, plus i damn near spent 400 bucks.

Please forgive me, thanks

the code actullay said "clean ------ sensor" but I cant remember what it said,

thanks

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,476 Posts
No code that I can think of will say "clean" anything. Pull them again and post them with the definitions.

·
Registered
sts
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Never hurts to clean the TB.

Not positive, but I don't think left or right matters on that sensor. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. You can get the pins out of the connector and reattach them to the wires. Been there, done that.
I tried but i couldn't get them out, ( i tried to push them in and pull them out)

even if i touch them to the (metal peices) in the connector, there is no idel change. Would that sensor effect my idel?

Now, the car runs good, just not at a idel, BUT the car WILL NOT run the same going up a big hill?

ON FLAT GROUND, THE CAR RUNS LIKE A ROCKET, BUT UP HILL IT BOGGS DOWN

any ideal? No codes but the intake sensor

·
Registered
sts
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I PROMISE, ADVANCE AUTO CODE READER ........said "clean something"

for real, this was today.

my memory is telling me is said "clean something" BUT IT WAS NOT THE TB.

I would bet my tb is dirty, (which i will clean tommarow,) but the code reader said clean (maf) or (map) or something like that. (4 real)

thanks for you help so far

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,476 Posts
Use a magnifying glass and look closely at the female end of the connector. The pins have a locking tab on them. Use a straight pin to depress that locking tab and you should be able to push or pull them out. The IAT sensor tells the PCM what the intake air temperature is so it can adjust the injector pulse width (fuel richness) accordingly. Not sure if or how much it might affect the idle though. Fix that and clean the TB and see how it idles. Then report back.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,476 Posts
I PROMISE, ADVANCE AUTO CODE READER ........said "clean something"

for real, this was today.

my memory is telling me is said "clean something" BUT IT WAS NOT THE TB.

I would bet my tb is dirty, (which i will clean tommarow,) but the code reader said clean (maf) or (map) or something like that. (4 real)

thanks for you help so far
OK, I don't know what you are using. I'm talking about the onboard diagnostics and the code definitions here. You won't find anything like that.
http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2.html

·
Registered
sts
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok this is what i remember...................

(lean) bank 1
(lean) bank 2
(erg)
(clean some thing sensor) so me and the store worker went back in the store and looked for "sensor cleaner in a can" and we found some, but I dont think on the (back of the can) what ever sensor this was ( I dont belive it was listed) so I didnt buy it.

the code went away, with the wires, plugs and stuff.

"clean something sensor" ????????????????????????????????

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
88,476 Posts
Both banks lean points to a vacuum leak, BUT that could be because there is no input from the IAT sensor and the engine is running leaner than it should be for the conditions (cold weather). You MUST get that fixed first.

The "clean something sensor" is just a recommendation from an aftermarket code reader. Use the onboard diagnostics.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts