Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only symptom I have is my car turns over quite a few times before it’ll start, and when it finally does start it starts at low rp then sort of bounces up to normal. Anyone had similar issues? I have not been able to figure out what it is for the life of me, thanks in advance

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,380 Posts
Welcome to the Funny Farm !!!

When was the last time you did a thorough throttlebody cleaning? Because the PCV dirty air line is so close to the throttle butterfly it deposits all sorts of nasty condensed crankcase vapors and crud. Remove the intake ducting, block the throttle plate wide open, use TB cleaner, clean rags, old toothbrush and scrub away. Don't get excessive cleaner into the intake manifold.

Fuel pressure check - 41 to 47 psi at Key: ON and steady idle. Test port at the end of the fuel rail and test set rented from a parts store.

How about a complete tune-up? Plugs, wires, coil and ICM cleaning? AC Delco #41-950 platinum plugs, the expensive AC Delco wireset from RockAuto. Use this diagram to get the plug wires connected correctly. Make sure the ICM baseplate ground is connected to the engine block.

Northstar Waste Spark Ignition System.gif

Your car has its own built-in diagnostic code scanner/memory. Learn how to use it by studying the correct model/year sections of the sticky thread "How to pull codes". Use the embedded link to OBD-II codes and post any found codes and definitions here.

??? Sticky ??? The threads at the top of this main Seville forum page, marked with a push pin. Timeless info for all owners.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,998 Posts
Only symptom I have is my car turns over quite a few times before it’ll start, and when it finally does start it starts at low rp then sort of bounces up to normal. Anyone had similar issues? I have not been able to figure out what it is for the life of me, thanks in advance
========================
I suspect a faulty/failing fuel pump -

try this:
turn the key to the ON position - wait 3 seconds -
then turn the key OFF - DO NOT CRANK THE ENGINE -

do this a total of 5 times -
on the 6th time - try starting the engine -

IF it fires right up - replace the fuel pump -

there is a check valve built into the fuel pump assembly
that is supposed to maintain fuel within the fuel lines -

when you turn the key ON -
the fuel pump runs for a couple seconds - to bring the fuel pressure up to "normal" -

when the check valve fails -
fuel drains back to the fuel tank -
it takes a LONG time to fill the fuel lines with gas - and bring it up to pressure -
HENCE - the long cranking time -

1 - 3 of 3 Posts