Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, First time poster here so bear with me.

I need to know what transmissions will work with my 96 STS with a "Y" vin. Would it be possible to put a 99 DeVille "Y" trans in it? What years work? What do i need to watch out for? Much help is needed.

Also, how can I tell if my STS is RWD or FWD? I can't say I've paid attention but it seems to me that the car is RWD with how it acts.

At the moment my car is unmovable and it saddens me greatly as I miss it terribly.

Any help is more than greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,990 Posts
It is FWD and you cannot use a trans from a Deville or an SLS. They have a 3.11:1 final drive as opposed to the 3.71:1 on the STS.

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm fairly certain that it is a rear wheel drive STS. At least the way that it handled makes me think this. Is there a definite way for me to tell since I can't drive it at the moment.

Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I don't believe you can have a Seville STS with a Y engine. All STS's have 9 engine. All SLS's have Y engine.

Also, you DO have front wheel drive.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I'm fairly certain that it is a rear wheel drive STS. At least the way that it handled makes me think this. Is there a definite way for me to tell since I can't drive it at the moment.

Thanks!
You have a FWD car. Jack the front end of the car up and put it in drive and watch the front wheel(s) spin.

·
Registered
Cadillac
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the idea of using a jack to check the front wheel movement. However, since the car will not drive "Transmission completely dead" its hard to tell. However, I believe you and since the engine is mounted sideways its front wheel drive.

Also, I'm going off my VIN for the "Y" engine. The first letter / number that comes up in my VIN is a Y then a 9 further down. Can someone show me an example on how to tell exactly? Here is most / not all of my VIN. Can someone clarify for me?

1G6KY5291TU******

As you can see I have both a Y and a 9 in my VIN. So hence the confusion. Either way I need a replacement transmission and I am going to try to order it tomorrow. So again, I believe the people more experienced than me and it is most probably a "9"

Thanks!

·
Registered
2013 XTS
2,087 Posts
Make sure you check the old transmission when you get it out for antifreeze if you find any you will also need to replace the radiator.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts