Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1996 STS
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to get an orifice tube out that's stuck i the line? I replaced my ac system, minus the evaporator. I did all of the proper procedures and did a vacuum at the end. There were no leaks, so I started putting in refrigerant. The compressor came on immediately and starting taking in refrigerant. It was cycling on and off, but after a couple of minutes the compressor stopped kicking on and the ac unit shut off. The pressure was high and I figured there was a blockage as the system had been flushed. I opened the orifice line and could tell it was further back in the tube than the one I took out. I grabbed it with a hook it the end and it started coming out, but broke. About one inch of the tube came out, but the rest is really stuck. I'm trying not to cut the line and have it fixed, or worse, remove the evaporator that the line is attached to. I thought I would see if anyone could pass on any tricks to remove it? Even if I can get it out piece by piece that would be okay. Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,572 Posts
Sounds like you installed it backwards the first time.

If you can get a hold of the remaining part, maybe heating the tube with a hair drier might free it up enough to remove it.
Another thought would be to apply compressed air from the other tube to maybe force it out after some heat.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
20,253 Posts
if you did install the orifice tube backwards -
you probably destroyed the LOW side thermistor (freon temperature sensor)

·
Registered
1996 STS
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
Sounds like you installed it backwards the first time.

If you can get a hold of the remaining part, maybe heating the tube with a hair drier might free it up enough to remove it.
Another thought would be to apply compressed air from the other tube to maybe force it out after some heat.
Thanks, it was installed properly in the right direction as the arrow on the orifice indicates.

Thanks, it was installed properly.

·
Registered
92 Fleetwood 2dr cpe - FWD, 96 Seville SLS, 02 Seville
1,039 Posts
When you get it out, be sure to flush that party of the tubing as there are probably pieces of the orifice stuck to the oil on the walls of the tube.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts