Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a ground somewhere under the dash that can make the speedo & gas gauge go blank. Pulled the cluster this morning & everything looked good to me. I checked all I could find on the forums but nothing. It goes off & comes on when it wants to. Help! This is driving me crazy

·
Registered
87 Brougham, 1969 Calais, 95 FWB, 07 SRX, 07 ESV
4,246 Posts
I think a common problem with them is some poor solders. There were a few threads on it with Jim (thefleetwoodguy) posting a real nice write up on what to look for and how to fix it.

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked at all the solder joints, everything looked ok from what I could see. Everything was solid on the board. Maybe I didn't look good enough. I read all of his threads, just looking for other options.

·
Registered
84 Coupe w/500
5,665 Posts
Did you see the thread where thefleetwoodguy said to check the solder joints under a covered piece behind the cluster? I can't remember what he said exactly but I thought you had to take something off to see the problem joints. Not sure where an external ground would be but, if it had one, I'd bet it's one of the few grounds close to the steering column.

·
Registered
1996 Fleetwood Brougham
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I did see that post. I pulled the cluster, inspected it & I didn't see anything loose or anything. Maybe I missed something. Idk but it's driving me crazy

·
Registered
95 FWB Blk on Blk. (120K) 98 Deville Concours, 1991 SDV.
133 Posts
From experience with a 96 Caprice, look at already mentioned center covered piece. Clean with cotton swap and alcohol on contacts and then pull up those tiny metal contacts a bit to help keep tension for when it is replaced. May help. Do not know if these two vehicles are same, are a bit different by perhaps same concept.

·
Registered
96 Fleetwood, 94 Fleetwood, 07 CTS, & 94 Caprice Wgn
706 Posts
Caprices are notorious for the digital display problems; Caddies not so much.

We spend 3 months on Coastal GA, not too too far from you. I saw an advertisement from a man that fixes digital speedometer displays. He is in Savannah GA. His name is Tim Male at 843-247-8719. I'm sure you could send it up to him.

Tom

·
Registered
1991 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance 5.7 Litre, 1994 DeVille
6,796 Posts
That sort of problem is very common on 90-96 Brougham/Fleetwood. On the ones I've had it's the odometer and trip meter that go out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts