Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a p0336 on my 96 fwb. I switched it out and got a new ac delco brand. Code went away then driving the car around for awhile and the engine light came on and its the p0336 again?? So i went under the car and took the sendor out to inspect it and the wiring. I found out there was oil on the backside the inside of the casing part sensor? Is that normal?

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,929 Posts
There's an issue with all internal combustion engines in that even though the oil was installed into the motor.. most times the oil wants to be outside of the motor.

There are these things called rpm's that spin that stuff and often times they create positive crankcase pressure.. and that pressure helps the oil to velocitate and escape out of the motor.

Good preventive maintenance would be to install new oil retaining devices known as the timing cover gasket and oil pan gasket, but that's a lot of work and time and pesos.

A little oil on the crank sensor won't hurt it. It's kinda like a chick that has messed up makeup. She may look horribad, but she can still do the right things!

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
76,825 Posts
Eric misread your post. Oil on the inside body of any CKP is perfectly normal. Oil is an insulator, no part of the Hall Effect sensor itself is in contact with engine oil. Harnesses and connectors tend to wear and break.

The inside of the CKP operates in a veritable oil washing machine environment any time the engine is running. The ENTIRE inside of the engine looks like the action in a front-loader washing machine at all times. The CKP sticks into the crankcase and counts pulses from the reluctor wheel machined on the crankshaft.

Oil leaks are prevented by the O-ring on the CKP body.

Typical waste spark system with CKPs and wheel -

Font Line Rectangle Parallel Diagram

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There's an issue with all internal combustion engines in that even though the oil was installed into the motor.. most times the oil wants to be outside of the motor.
So oil on the brass part is totally fine then and normal you saying? Here a pic of it when i took it out to clean it but why the code keeping coming back? I wonder since i got another code that pops up that stays on maybe?
Gas Composite material Circuit component Auto part Engineering

·
Registered
96 FWB
3,569 Posts
I and others have found upon replacing their CPS after that particular code that the error returns. Other reasons are known to throw that code and end up being more common than the sensor itself: bad connector and/or baked/cracked harness running along the oil pan, bad coil connector/harness or coil itself, and 'issues' with the opti (a lot of association attributed to oil or coolant in it).

To answer your question whether 'safe' to drive. Yes, perfectly safe, and does not affect any system or overall performance. As stated, it was added by EPA mandate for '96-on to 'do' NOTHING more than as a preliminary step to count pulses but never became programmed or implemented into actually monitoring or controlling emissions. But it'll sure flunk an emissions test if the code is set. One bright spot is your state may allow a single 'emissions exemption' if you know enough to ask for it. But you can't use the exemption for the same code at the next inspection. Some states also allow emissions exemption if you promise to drive less than certain miles/yr.

My driver already ran quite well, so I just had the light programmed out along with other desired parameter changes. My selected source is in my signature. Good luck.

Reactions: 84 fleetwood coupe

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok well thats good to know and my city where im at dont do emission so thats even better lol i was going to ask could you do a csp delete but i guess u answered that already. Everything new on the motor besides the plugs and wires and regret noe changing then along with the timing chain gasket when i was doing the cam and opti seal replacement😐

·
Administrator
76,825 Posts
The CKP (CranKshaft Position sensor) and CMP (CaMshaft Position sensor) are the electronic equivalents of necessary ignition timing components - they're either fully functional and correct or the engine will not run or perform correctly.

Repair the problem.

·
Registered
96 FWB
3,569 Posts
Sub-, the rudimentary '92-'97 '5-Year Run And Done' now extinct LT1 had just the CPS and no camshaft sensor. As that motor was already dying on the vine when OBD-II came out, the conventional wisdom is that bonafide CPS data monitoring used to actually maintain engine function was not pressured (?by EPA's rollout schedule?) for implementation until the LS- engines that replaced the LT-es.

I've read on this forum though how important crank sensor input is to performance, and imagine that's for LS- designs and maybe even N-Stars IDK. If you've got straighter poop on the CPS for our dino LT-es just let me know and I'll stop spreading lies. :unsure:

Reactions: 84 fleetwood coupe

·
Administrator
76,825 Posts
Codes and monitoring is one side of the problem. Actual engine performance and proper operation is another.

If the CKP (CPS ?) is hiccupy then ignition timing reference is out the window. Kind of like having a loose set of points flopping around.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I forgot to mention my other code is a misfire code p0307/p0300 and its cylinder 7. So i know other codes could set off other codes so do you think fixing the mis fire problem i say its the plug and wires that it would actually fix for the p0336 crankshaft position sensor?

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
10,682 Posts
FTSS is correct. The sensor was merely added to the existing LT1 architecture to simply provide OBD2 compliance for 1996. It is not as complicated as Sub suggests. Many (many many) of the early LT1 tuner/modifiers would go to an OBD1 8011 PCM on their 96s B/D cars to allow easy programming.

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,929 Posts
FTSS is correct. The sensor was merely added to the existing LT1 architecture to simply provide OBD2 compliance for 1996. It is not as complicated as Sub suggests. Many (many many) of the early LT1 tuner/modifiers would go to an OBD1 8011 PCM on their 96s B/D cars to allow easy programming.
Yeap, the '92-93 ECMS are OBD1 and were literally "chipped". '94 and forward were OBD2 and were flash programming (in the vette world anyway)

I'm surprised to learn through this thread that for the opti-spark years that GM Cadillac added a separate crank position sensor.

The Opti-spark ignitions were a bad design and routinely failed due to the sensitivity of the optical portion... no draft thru for condensation/dust on early designs. Wonder if this is why Cadillac went to the Crank Position Sensor for their rendition of the LT1?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts