Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let's talk about this.. Who's got better what and how? By the end of this thread, I'd like a good topic all about how both cars are the same and different at the same time - and which one is better and why...

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Bad example. The '96 Town Car was the last year before they switched to the current body style.
'96 Town Car vs. Fleetwood would be a slam-dunk for the Fleetwood. It was the culmination of all the changes to the car. It would be the best it would ever be. The Caddy was bigger in every dimension, faster, better towing package, higher GVW. Just plain better from bumper to bumper. The '97 Town Car was a MUCH better car but was slightly smaller in certain dimensions.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the input. I hope to have much more in the coming days.. Just an FYI.. The 95-97 TC's were virtually identical.. The '98 started the newer model which you see now - mostly unchanged since inception...

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
Thank you for the input. I hope to have much more in the coming days.. Just an FYI.. The 95-97 TC's were virtually identical.. The '98 started the newer model which you see now - mostly unchanged since inception...
Sorry dude. I can never remember whether '97 was the last of the old style or the first of the new :rolleyes:

I really like the newer style Town Car. It rode nice, handled surprisingly well at speed, and had a nice clean exterior look. I think the interior was rather bland but what the hell. They had a "Touring Sedan" version that looked even better but two things turned me off to it:
1. No additional power. A Touring Sedan model SHOULD be a little more powerful.
2. The "sport" version tires and springs combined to make a lousy riding car if you can believe it.
I think I would go with the Cartier version (at least I think that was what they called it). It was the top of the line version and I would probably do some performance upgrades to make it a "proper" car.
The Town Car actually had it all except the two things that meant a lot to me. Interior styling and performance.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What really has me shocked is that the Fleetwood rides smoother than the Towncar.. That's what the Towncar guys say, anyway.. How much smoother does the Fleetwood ride than the DeVille?

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
*off topic real quick*

when we were in Washington DC, going from our hotel to the trian station, we took a cab, the cab was a mid 90's Town Car, the older style, but it had the air bag suspension..... I must say, that car rode really smooth, I was really surprised.....

....in DC, there were sooo many differnt cabs, from 70's Chevy station wagons and old Caprices, to 80's trucks, and early SUV's and bigger cars, and a ton of stuff from the 90's from Cavi's to Towncars, DeVilles, anything, but the one single cab that stuck out in my head was the '78 Sedan DeVille with the 425, the car was banged up and stuff, but it was still running, and running strong, and you could really hear the 425 roar when the driver that could barley speak English hit the loud pedal.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Actually, it's always been my experience that the Town Car rode smoother than the Cadillac but, the soft suspension tuning worked against the durability of the vehicle as a whole. It was always considered common knowledge in the livery industry that the Lincolns rode nicer than the Cadillacs but the Cadillacs lasted longer.
And as for the Lincoln air-bag rear suspension, I'd have to admit that overall it's a more substantial assembly than the air-shocks on the Cadillacs. The only problem was that if there was an air system related problem, the car was undriveable whereas the Cadillac just didn't have quite the same load carrying capacity when their air system was down.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well.. I originally wanted to get back into an Eldorado.. Then I thought a Seville would be better since it's bigger.. Then I figured a DeVille would be even better for its size.. And now I've been studying up on the Fleetwood - and I'm liking what I'm learning. I'm mostly attracted to the soft ride and interior room.. So, I'll be on the search for a nice '93 Fleetwood as soon as my Vette goes.. I have a bad feeling I'm going to have a hell of a hard time finding one...

I don't want the LT1. I have a Vette now. I just don't care for speed anymore. Comfort rules all. And, I want a cheap engine to maintain. If I need to replace it - I don't want to replace it with an LT1...

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Sal Collaziano said:
Well.. I originally wanted to get back into an Eldorado.. Then I thought a Seville would be better since it's bigger.. Then I figured a DeVille would be even better for its size.. And now I've been studying up on the Fleetwood - and I'm liking what I'm learning. I'm mostly attracted to the soft ride and interior room.. So, I'll be on the search for a nice '93 Fleetwood as soon as my Vette goes.. I have a bad feeling I'm going to have a hell of a hard time finding one...

I don't want the LT1. I have a Vette now. I just don't care for speed anymore. Comfort rules all. And, I want a cheap engine to maintain. If I need to replace it - I don't want to replace it with an LT1...
You have me stunned Sal. I've never known anyone that "purposely" chose a LO5 equipped Fleetwood over the LT1 equipped one. IMO, there ARE enough improvements between the '93 and '94 (besides the engine) to warrant looking for the later model but, to each his own.
If nothing else, the resale value is far better for the '94-'96 cars :rolleyes:

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well. I'm looking for 'no car payment' without spending a lot of cash...

Anyways.. How difficult will it be to get new seats and carpet in these things? Where can I go for replacement parts? Is anything still around for these cars?

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
There's a few upholstry wholesalers like Katskin's that MAY still offer something. Other than that, I'd have to say you're stuck with a local upholsterer. Do you get Automotive News? There's plenty of ads in there.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Most of the interior pieces that you'll need to replace i.e. seat covers, carpet, etc... have been discontinued from the factory. There's a Cat on the Impala board that can get you a full carpet kit for the Fleetwood for a modest price. Good quality too. I've heard nothing but good things about his service. His name's Smokeybear. If you head over there and ask around someone can throw you his email at least. As far as seat covers, you may have to raid some junk yards and hope you get lucky. Allthough there's always JC Whitney :D .

As for the ride issue. There was a line in Consumer reports that has stuck with me for years about the Fleetwood. They said the ride on the 94-96's was a bit stiffer from the last generation FW's. I was lucky enough to own both generations at the same time so I did notice the 80's FW was a bit softer over the rough stuff then the 90's. It's marginal though. And when you set a car that's barley broken in against a car that's had 200k hard miles thrown at it the results may come back a bit skewed :D . Then again I'm probablly not the best advocate for supurb ride comfort. I build cars that lay on the frame and have 4 inches of usable travle :banghead2 .

·
Registered
Unicycle
11,009 Posts
check out the '90-'92 Brougham too for an older style.....or even '87-'89 if you want a cheap, reliable ride that will never die, very comfortable but lacking on the power.....

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I do like those older styles as well - but - I'd like something that can still look kinda NEW and be very BIG. I don't really need such a big car but the Fleetwood is really growing on me. I know they ride nice - they're looking better and better - and they're not a dime a dozen...

If I can find a nice '95 with the bigger mirrors (and further forward), I'll go for it. But, I'll be satisfied with the '93 as well.. I just know it's going to be very difficult to find one...

·
Registered
266 Posts
When I was looking for mine I test drove a 93 first and then drove a 96 a couple months later. Honestly, I didn't notice that big a difference in power. If anything the LT1 has better throttle responce over the L05. The L05 will get out of its own way though. It lacks a bit on the upper end of the RPM's, but the Torque ratings are very close. If I was to do it all over again, with what I know now and the amount of money and work I dropped into my LT1 I wouldn't buy another. The engine and tranny are too exspensive to fix and have too many quirks. As much as I loved that car, it also jaded me. It'll be a long time befor I buy another fuel injected car. Especially one of those. The L05 is simple. It'll take standard SBC parts from off the shelf pretty much. So no $500 distributors or $300 water pumps to have to worry about. You can take the money you saved on those and buy the later model mirriors and update that :D

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I think the biggest difference in ride quality that you will notice right away is the "isolation" that a body-on-frame gives you. You're used to a unibody car and they will never approach the level of isolation that you'll get out of a full-frame car like the Fleetwood.

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Scrapyard - thanks for that info. Very interesting.. The LT1 was pretty well-known for high RPM power.. So I guess that WOULD be the biggest difference. But, it sounds like I could save a lot of money down the road if I just get the L05.. Hell, if I ever really wanted to, I could probably put in an stroker...

But.. CAN I update the mirrors on the '93? If they're farther up forward - is that difficult to change? You can't just take the mirrors off and move 'em up cleanly - can you?

Otherwise.. Regarding the isolation.. You're right, Kevin.. I know very little about it.. Why is it such a difference? I don't understand the whole "full-frame" deal...

·
I'm a Cadillac Fanatic!
9,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh, and another question.. Heated seats.. They only come on the Brougham. Right? Damn. Now my search will be that much more difficult.. What OTHER features are added on the Brougham? And... Can they be ADDED to the regular Fleetwood later on?

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V, 1994 Infiniti Q45
7,658 Posts
Sal...... Adding heated seats to a non brougham wouldnt be a feasable option, unless you have to get the seats recovered......... All the labor involved (the heaters are only about 100) is taking the seats out, and getting the seat covers off....

·
Registered
266 Posts
The mirror update will require some body and paint work but otherwise it's a mater of getting mirriors off a 95-96 model with the window mounting plates, rerouting the wiring for the power mirriors and bolting it in. The 93-94 models have the plastic triangle piece in the front corner of the window all ready where the later model mirriors mount. The thing is, when you pull the mirriors off the doors there is a 4" x 3" hole that needs to be welded up and repainted. That's where the bulk of the exspense is gona come from unless you are pretty proficent with a welder and a spray gun or know someone that is.

As for the Brougham options/updates. You're probablly gona have an easier time finding a Brougham then you think. When I found my base Fleetwood without the vinal roof and more wood then Pergament (you're from Lindhurst you should know what that is ;) ) I was amazed. Plus, I would guess the heated seat option would be pretty popular up there. And if it's not, there should be a loose plug under the seat for it already. There was in mine anyway.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts