Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey forums. haven't been around in a while . but Ive run into a bit of an issue that has me stumped..I Did a 4 wheel arnott replacement, rear bushings and all 4 wheel bearings, and my drivers side axle. the car was all over the road before the work, 130,000 on the clock with everything original. well here's the issue , took it to the alignment shop, they did it twice, was fine for a while then all of a sudden the steering wheel was at 10 o'clock. hard right turn (to the lock) and it went almost back to dead on center (the steering wheel) now Im insanely busy opening a new bizz so I dont have time to do a ton of trouble shooting. The alignment shop said I need a rack , they know I will do the work so its not a $$ thing for them , I just dont get the issue , why would the rack be bad . I could see a loose component , but this issue doesn't seem like a rack issue , though it is stiffer to one side than the other ..I figure I didnt notice this because everything was so sloppy before..I need some help on this one . thanks in advance
Craig

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado
2,814 Posts
Simple, take it back to the alignment shop. Being there twice already is a problem.

That far off center is not something that just happens after an alignment.

Stiffness in the wheel is a indication of oil bypassing rack seals or a defective oil flow regulator or Magnasteer malfuntion.

This would have nothing related with the steering center position.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Simple, take it back to the alignment shop. Being there twice already is a problem.

That far off center is not something that just happens after an alignment.

Stiffness in the wheel is a indication of oil bypassing rack seals or a defective oil flow regulator or Magnasteer malfuntion.

This would have nothing related with the steering center position.
this info Im aware of , the problem Im haveing is the whhel will be at 10 oclock, then after a full lock right turn , and return to driving straight the wheel will be centered, then it will happen all over again..

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado
2,814 Posts
The steering rack mount may not be secure. Or the joint that couples the column to the rack is loose. Don't over look the sub frame mounts and or motor mounts. These areas all have the capability of movement that would alter the steering.

Have you checked your lug nuts? They can surely loosen.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the rack wasnt loose, nor the lug nuts. Im spending the entire monday (tomorrow) going over everything (sucks on your back) I have a new rack to pop in anyway since the car had a junkyard rack in it when I bought it 5 years ago..the cradle mounts are in not such bad shape , motor mounts look eh , But I have them coming from rock auto..well see what happens , because nothing looks to be bad, and the only slop I have is when the wheel is off center, I get very very little play in the right wheel...whats odd to me is theiris no play in the wheel whatsoever and the car tracks dead on ..like I said Ill be getting deep into this tomorrow..Bike week is coming and I have 2 customers bikes that need finishing before this weekend and this is causing an issue with fixing my own car and bike..thanks for all the help, Ill let you all know what I come up with tomorrow...

·
Registered
1996 Eldorado
2,814 Posts
With the hood open have you watched for engine movement loading it up in drv & rev?

Something has to be moving with acceleration or braking or turning loads.

Have you considered the rear suspension causing this?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK we found the issue..I will NEVER use a firestone fo my alignments again..bunch of incompetents.basically the left the knuckle to strut mount bolts a lil loose, then wound up screwing the toe up so bad that the tires were rubbing. the camber would start going nuts when I drove , but somehow would go back to straight when I parked it..brought it to a different shop, which didnt charge me , and boom , no issues..Im in this bizz 25 years , Ive never seen such loser mechanics..telling me I needed a rack when they screwed it all up ..I guess I learned they suck
thanks for everyones help.....Oh BTW , Im pretty satisfide with the arnott struts , smooth ride , car handles real well and for the price ya cant go wrong ..Also the dorman rear bushings are a no brainer , esp if you have access to a press..car rides like a Caddy again

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sorry for the lack of spell check ,Im on my phone and Big hands and touchscreens are not a match made in heaven

1 - 11 of 11 Posts