Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I'm new to the forum and I just bought my caddy which is a 96 eldorado ETC with 151,500 miles. I need to change the coolant and I am getting different advice from several places that I have called. Most places have advised me to put the green coolant in, even if it has dex-cool now. A lot of them have also advised me to have it completely flushed and some people say to drain it. What should I do?!?

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado
637 Posts
i changed to green. i read a bunch of bad stuff about dex cool and it causing hg issues. i also read to just drain it because the flush chemicals are harsh

·
Registered
1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t
3,013 Posts
i changed to green. i read a bunch of bad stuff about dex cool and it causing hg issues. i also read to just drain it because the flush chemicals are harsh
If you just drained the system,did you get out all the old dex?.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
i filled with distilled water and drain. i repeated a few times then put the green in.
Great,just curious,the reason for not flushing the system is not because of harsh chemicals,but more for not using tap water, how long have you had the green stuff in?.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,559 Posts
Internet myths. Ask yourself why other GM engines with Dex don't have HG issues? Why do the 2000+ Northstars have so much fewer?

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Internet myths. Ask yourself why other GM engines with Dex don't have HG issues? Why do the 2000+ Northstars have so much fewer?
Hi Ranger,I thought I read somewhere that the compression was also lowered a tad to cut down on the stress?.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,559 Posts
Pre 2000 compression ratio was 10.3:1. 2000+ was lowered a whole .3 to 10.0:1 not to lower stress, but to allow for the use of 87 octane fuel.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Pre 2000 compression ratio was 10.3:1. 2000+ was lowered a whole .3 to 10.0:1 not to lower stress, but to allow for the use of 87 octane fuel.
Wow, You wonder how they could lower it with such a tight tolerance difference.

·
Registered
1997 Eldorado
637 Posts
really? i seen gm got sued and many people have horror stories of how the dex cool caused corrosion. and it wasnt one or 2 sites it was a lot

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,559 Posts
They did get sued and those stories spread through the internet like the H1N1 flu. Silicated coolant plates the water jacket with silicates so if the system runs low it will con rust. On some cast iron engines (Chevy trucks I believe) they would run low. Oxidation would occur and when the engine was run coolant would slosh through and wash the rust out. This would happen each time the engine was shut down for any length of time. Eventually all the rust would settle out in a low flow area and cause problems. Dex got the blame when it was poor maintenance. If Dex was the problem, why does my wife's '96 Bonneville with 150K on it still have the original HG's? Why aren't all the 3800's having HG problems? Why do the 2000+ Northstars have so many fewer? If Dex where the problem, EVERY engine using it would be eating not only HG's, but water pump, thermostat housing and every other gasket that comes in contact with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts