Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I previously posted a problem about my 96 deville with over 130,000 miles on it having a problem with cutting off while stopped at a stop light.It starts right back up though.

I checked it for codes...and didn't get not one code.

So I took it to another autoshop and they said that it was my torque converter lock up switch or solenoid...I forgot exactly which one it was..

But has anyone ever had this problem with this switch or solenoid?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,969 Posts
The Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) locks up at 41 MPH. If the TCC solenoid sticks and does not unlock it is like trying to stop a standard trans without stepping on the clutch. It should set a DTC.

·
Registered
2000 DEVILLE,2001 STS.
122 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2k deville. turned out to be the crank position sensors. Never got a code until after a month when it got progressively worse and would stall anytime. I would also suspect that a sticky IAC (idle air control) valve would do the same thing but that should throw a code.Does your tranny shift normally when driving. Torque converter lock up only engages around 40mph not at a stoplight, although I dont know what would happen if it doesnt disengage.

·
Registered
Cadillac
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey sorry about getting back with a response...

I had the idle speed control valve replaced...

And about 6 months ago...I had a rebuilt tranny put in...

But I'll have them check out the other sensor you mentioned..

·
Registered
96 Cadillac Deville
5 Posts
I had the exact problem with my 96 Deville 88k miles.It turned out to be a sticky EGR valve. After replacing it, I had no more problems.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts