Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
'96 black on black Cruella
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading this forum and you guys are extremely knowledgeable and helpful and love to have joined the Caddy Man Club!
Back in ‘74 Dad bought a Sedan Deville at the height of the first "gas crises". He figured he'd ride in style, and also figured (rightly), that the money he saved on a car that everyone was abandoning, would more than make up for the 6 or 8 mpg. That was my intro to Cadillac, but I is a Ford man.
When gas hit $3.00 plus in San Diego this past summer I decided to part with my 1959 Ford Galaxie that maxed at 15 MPG. It sold on EBay for $4,000 and I looked for an old Camry or some other ricer at around that price. Even a ten year old Toy or Honda or Datsun was ungodly over priced, and overly dull. I searched for anything with no reserve and eventually placed a crazy low bid on a 1996 4.6 N* Deville with 80,000 miles...and won it at $3,200. It looks great, runs great but...here is where I need assistance. The car has the fuel rail recall fix already, and car fax says it had a transmission service done 15,000 miles back, (any typical probs there?) also.

A. I have a code 340 and need to no precisely where the cam position sensor is. I can't find it!?? Will this clear my "service ignition system" warning as well as the "service engine soon"?
B. My front speakers don't work on my base stereo and I hope you can tell me the color codes so I can find if it's the head unit or what.
C. I'm having a problem charging the AC. Do I just clear the codes and add a can with the air at 65 degree?
D. I plan on plugs and wires this weekend, should I also do a drain and refill of the coolant with the 6 tablets in the upper hose?
E. I get more wind noise around the driver door than I expect, is this a typical problem?
F. How do I keep from cruising 85 to 90 MPH getting 23 MPG and smiling all the while?
Thanks in advance. Rich

·
Registered
99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP
1,054 Posts
That was not a bad deal with the car, I too was a Ford Man (Broncos) then I seen the light LOL, As far as your code, its a P0340, which is a camshaft 4x ref code. To find your camshaft sensor, it should be on the bank of cylinders next to the firewall. at one end or the other, the picture I have is not very clear about that. The code indicates a problem in the circuit, when you find it, check for broken wires and the obvious problems first before replacement.
Are you getting wind noise when driving at 90mph? lol, if so then that would be normal...Changing the coolant on a Northstar is always good to do, especially if you don't know what its history is. I think that the pellets go in the bottom, someone please correct me if I am wrong. Use Delco parts, they do work best, and enjoy one of the best engines ever built.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
For your radio, do you have the fader control set to just the back only, stupid thing to ask, but you never know. the wiring for the front is as follows (-) Gray and (+) tan, that was for the LH front, RH Front is Dark Green (-) and Light Green is (+)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Re: '96 DeVille, new to me !! Camshaft Position Sensor

No More "Code 340" or "Git Yer But to Service" no more "service ignition system". I found the sensor at Parts Plus for $42 after taxes. Then I started looking. The little guy is on the passenger side rear bank, about ten inches from the top decorator plate,below two heater hoses, an clipped-in electrical connection, and a tiny vacuum line, . What a bear! I disconnected the plug to make sure I was on the right part, unclipped the electrical hold down and started the 10mm nut with a combination wrench, then switched to a 1/4 socket wrench. Put an extension on the handle of the socket wrench to make things easier. The entire job took 1 and 1/2 hours, slow-slow and easy so I didn't drop the bolt.If I were to do it again I would remove the heater hoses from both ends for what little extra room there is, and luckily my hands are small enough to fit into tight spaces:devil: . The bolt had red lock-tight on it but I'm not worried, and don't forget to oil the seal on the sensor.
AND... My HVAC apears to be working properly also now?? no more econ and auto lights at the same time.
I'll skip the plugs and wire for now and just get my coolant done. Best $42 I've ever spent. Wonder what the dealer would have charged me???

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Caddyshack100 said:
For your radio, do you have the fader control set to just the back only, stupid thing to ask, but you never know. the wiring for the front is as follows (-) Gray and (+) tan, that was for the LH front, RH Front is Dark Green (-) and Light Green is (+)
What colors are the rear speakers? I'm going to switch the connects to see if the speakers are good. Thanks, and I did tighten the doors a smidge I'll see if I still have wind noise at 85...90...95...

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The rear speaker wires are LH Rear (-) yellow, (+) Brown, RH Rear (-) light blue (+) Dark Blue, this is for the base sound system on the Deville, option code UW6 which you can find on the inside lid of the spare tire cover in the trunk. If you have Bose, its a different setup, Glad you found the camshaft position sensor, my picture was not clear as to exactly where it was. One thought on the radio, check to see if you have a stock amp hooked up, I think it sits behind the rear seat, along with some of the other electric hookups

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,793 Posts
Sealant tabs can go in either hose, just don't put them in the surge tank.

Loosen the door latch on the jamb and move it inboard about 1/8". That will tighten up the door and seal better. May solve the wind noise problem.

Have the freon all hooked up and ready to go. Then clear the low refrigerant code and turn on the A/C to max cooling (65 deg). Refrigerant should enter the system before it tripes the low pressure sensor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well... Everything is peachy except I had AC1347 pop back up. I'm hoping there is just a simple leak somewhere. Still no front mid/woofer speakers, I jumpered back and fronts but got no sound so now it's off with the panels. Odd that both would be out at once, so y'all know where the wires route after the HU? I'm picking straws. I can put up with the back speakers for now if I have too, the A/C is another story.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Guyz1996deville said:
You can always go after market. Since you got such a good deal on the car, drop a grand on the sound system.
I've got other uses for my next spare grand :yup:
I'm gonna go to a stereo shop and have em take a look. I thought most H/U had an amp for each channel front left, front right and rear left rear right, which would mean....oddness

1 - 10 of 10 Posts