Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smell gas inside and out of the car. Changed fuel pimp recently but don't think this has anything to do with it. Smells strong by fuel rails but not sure any tips

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,177 Posts
Re: 96sdn deville fuel leak soemwhere

There was a recall for the '95 - '97 fuel rails. The swapped out the nylon rail for a stainless steel rail. Which do you have?

Nylon "rails"

Stainless steel rails

Attachments

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
If you have plastic do not attempt to fix it if leaking. Replace it immediately or engine fire can occur. Not all plastic rails were covered under recall unfortunately.
Oh and find the leak now and don't drive until you fix it.

·
Super Moderator
87,177 Posts

:yeah: Heed Rodnok's advice

·
Super Moderator
87,177 Posts

Yep. I knew the guy who owned the car. He was a regular (when I was) on another Caddy site.

·
Super Moderator
87,177 Posts

Yeah, traffic on that site has come to a crawl. I'd don't stop by there much anymore.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
96 sedan deville fuel leak

Found a leak coming off the beginning of the fuel rail. Discontinued fuel lines is making it hard for me to find some. Should I replace whole lines to fuel pump or fix from the start of the fuel rail. Can't find lines for 96 can I use the stainless steel ones for 98-99 deville

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Kind of confusing where you are say leak is... Is the rail or the lines leaking?
If rail is leaking(i shall assume plastic) the stainless is same through 99 deville. Seville and Eldo are different. You may need to source a new vacuum line to the fpr as they are different design from plastic rails.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It's the fuel line. My rails are already stainless steel. I looked up a recall on the plastic lines which I'm assuming there replaced with the newer deville stainless steen fuel lines. Thanks figured they would be the same.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
So much for it being easy. They do sell a repair kit for the ends with high pressure hose and clamps to fix the ends if you just need to do those. You will have to check dealer part numbers between years to see what else fits for the whole lines.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe I'll be better off with it looking like the one in flames. Have the stainless steel rails. Just replaced fuel pump so the pressure prob busted a pin hole leak that I see. Going stainless steel fuel lines to rail to fuel pump

·
Registered
96 Concours, 05 DHS
186 Posts
It's fairly easy to make up a replacement nylon fuel line. A few years ago when my 96 sprung a leak just aft of the fuel rail connector, I picked up a nylon fuel line kit (Dorman 800-300) on amazon for around $150 that had two sizes of line, a bunch of different press-fit barbed connectors, and a press tool. The only challenging part was reusing the 45-degree metal connector at the fuel rail end of the line. The press tool is set up for straight and right-angle connectors. I used a couple C-clamps to hold the connector in place while pressing on the hose.

overview.jpg

·
Registered
96 Concours, 05 DHS
186 Posts
Re: 96 sedan deville fuel leak

If your leak is in the fuel line between the fuel rail and the fuel filter (rear of the car), replace the entire fuel line. If it's leaking in one place, it will probably spring a leak elsewhere as well.

Please see my post in your other thread on this topic for details on making a new nylon fuel line - it's not difficult.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fuel line 96 sedan deville

Can't find new fuel line. Bought steel one for 98 99 and fittings won't work. Any tips on not getting a nylon one

·
Super Moderator
87,177 Posts
Re: Fuel line 96 sedan deville

The '95 - '97 nylon lines where recalled. Go to a dealer and they should replace it with a stainless steel rail for free.

P.S.
Please do not start new threads for the same subject.
Threads merged.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have steel rails no recall on lines dorman 800 300 worked phenomenal appreciate the help. No new threads sry about that

1 - 19 of 19 Posts