Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1996 DeVille
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really glad to find this place. Newbie here.

I have a 96 DeVille. I'm trying to change the front brakes and rotors. Let me say, I'm not a mechanic but I've been able to do disk brakes on my Chevys and a Jeep. I've found some good posts here that were helpful but I've run into a snag.

I've gotten the caliper pins backed out but I can't get the caliper to swing up or come off. The rotor tries to come with it.

Is this the piston holding it on there and do I need to bleed the brakes to release it or is there something that I'm missing? Or do I just need to pry it. So far, I've just used my hands, I didn't want to cause possible damage in case I'm missing a step.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,544 Posts
Yes, the piston has the pads clamped to it a little too tight. Just grab the caliper and pull it toward you as hard as you can. That will put pressure on the piston and force it back into the bore and release the rotor. It will go easier if you open the bleeder valve, but I have yet to need to do that. Use a C clamp if you have to, but I have yet to have to do that either.

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
Reinstall one lug nut to keep the rotor from moving before you pull on the caliper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts