Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2007 EXT Supercharged
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my parents have a 96 deville with a non-bose stereo.

Their battery keeps going dead, somtimes after a week, sometimes after a day, sometimes after an hour. They have installed new batteries over the last 2 years.

The mechanics they took the car to says there is a short in the factory amp behind the back seat. Could this really be the problem or is he just finding the curtousy stay on power feature until you open the door???

I personally dont think it has anything to do with the amp, maybe somethign controlled by the amp, like chime or lights or the other stay on features.

They were quoted $1200 to replace it, boy if it didnt work i would be pissed!!!!

So i see how they deleted the for sale and wanted adds here, that really bites and there is none on ebay.

Any ideas??

·
Registered
13 Challenger RT, 11 CTS Coupe Premium, 94 Eldorado (RIP)
1,306 Posts
Are all dome lights working properly? How about the trunk light and glove compartment light?

Since the battery has been changed and it continues to happen, we should assume that there isn't any corrosion problem at the terminals.

·
Registered
2007 EXT Supercharged
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, i just got done weeding through all the posts about this issue.

Did you ever solve yours or is your trunk light fuse still out???

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I found that a very small gauge wire, actually going to the trunk lamp, had broke and was touching the inside wall of the trunk. The wire came from the smaller trunk lid harness and into the larger harness traveling near the wall of the trunk. Where these two harnesses come together was where the break was. I ended up splicing in a longer section of wire. All is good now, everything works like it should.

·
Registered
2005 Deville
244 Posts
I previously had a 95 Deville Concours which killed batteries.

It had an extended warranty. Dealership replaced the radio, which fixed the problem. It also was a non-Boise.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 91 Deville which had the same problems. It was the radio. Once I replaced that I had no further problems. I also had to replace my 1 month old battery as the problem made it choke to. I had numerous batteries replaced in the past year until I removed the radio overnight. I just put in an AM/FM Cassette, GM mid 90s which plugged right in for $20 including shipping.

·
Registered
2007 EXT Supercharged
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So when u say u replaced the radio, does this include the amp behind the seat that controlls the 10 minute courtesy features??

Or did u just change out the head unit or remote or whatever u want to call it, its just buttons on the dash right, no amp or other stuff there at all??

·
Registered
2007 EXT Supercharged
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm...

They said the guy pulled the fuse on the box behind the seat, and they didnt loose the radio, they lost like the gas gauge, some other dash lights, interior lights and other dumb stuff.

What exactly is this box??

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Would that be the module for Retained Accessory Power? There are a few boxes behind the rear seat. What is the location of it on the panel?

·
Registered
2007 EXT Supercharged
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, nevermind, they were talking about the fuse box in the trunk, they pulled the COMFORT fuse and claimed it didnt drain the battery.

Well, the last thing they did was take the car somewhere else, and in only 30 minutes they had no juice at all after installing the fuse.

They put a new interstate battery in it and all is good so far. Could have just been a bad "new" battery, happens sometimes.

How much current does the car draw when shut off, i know it draws something at all times.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Almost sounds like what was happening with me, but on a different circuit. If all is well, then great. If it drains again with that fuse in, then suspect something of that circuit shorting to ground.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts