Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1996 Sedan Deville NS4.6
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:nono:...I have a 1996 Cad Sedan Deville with 4.6 Northstar, and my trans is slipping bad when warmed up and no 1st gear...I believe it is a 4T80E from my online research...vehicle has 140k miles..doesnt slip til warmed up...a transmission mechanic put 2 new solenoids in the trans and now I dont have 3rd or 4th either...he says time for rebuild...$800 if I remove and install, $1200 if he does it all...

what if it's my torque converter? will I still have problems after rebuild?

Have the clutches worn down and now won't engage?

why did I lose 3rd and 4th after solenoid install? loose plug maybe?

I've only done 3 FWD tranny removal and installs..this one doesnt look fun.

any removal photos or step by step available?

Thank you...

·
Registered
99STS,2004 Jeep Liberty Renegade,98 Deville RIP
1,054 Posts
A simple question so pardon for asking, Did you check your oil level? Engine running, it is not very usual for a 4T80E to go so soon, they do have their quirks, Solenoids and input sensors etc but not a whole build, Have you pulled the codes yet, they may yield a clue as to what is happening. To Remove you will have to drop the whole engine and Tranny Cradle and lift the vehicle up over and roll the cradle out. There are some threads on it so it will not be hard to find, Good luck

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Deville
29 Posts
Like CaddyShack100 Said, You do have to drop engine/cradle/tranny.... Its really not that hard. Honestly, I Rebuilt my motor and transmission in my 94 deville. My tranny(4T60E-4.9L V8) started slipping at 121,000. So, while I had the motor out I figured It would be a good idea to rebuild the motor while I was at it! I have ALOT of pics of the process if it is needed. But basically, All you have to do, is obviously have a lift. Unplug everything needed to remove the motor and tranny... Than remove the 6 bolts holding the cradle(While using something to support all corners of the cradle evenly), and slowly lift the car off the cradle. Watch out for wires that are bolted to the cradle for organization.... Hopefully all goes well.

·
Registered
1996 Deville 1985 Fleetwood
74 Posts
Maybe he mixed up the solenoids, your tranny is probably in limp mode. I remember I put in solenoids in a seville and forgot which went where and I had to drop the pan filter valve body again to swap them around, there almost identical looking.

·
Registered
1994 Cadillac Deville
29 Posts
True, I am wondering how Dark or burnt the fluid was. If it was warn in and Dark in color and he changed the Solenoids that would mean he changed the fluid that contained the Worn clutch material in it making the last few clutches loosing there grab! Thats quite common. But who knows!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts