Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1996 Deville
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just went through an overheating period which I think I am mostly through with, possibly the purge tank cap was the main culprit in the end. Now I have had rough idle at the start but quickly clears up after driving only a few feet. Tonight however, it coninued for 100 ft before it cleared up and the check engine light started flashing then stayed on ... current code PC 1380 ... can't find it on GOOGLE ... what is it? 2nd question ... are the codes in HISTORY necessarily resolved issues or still possibly valid? Thanks.

·
1996 Deville
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
history, no longer exists. 1380 is a misfire
Thank you, I am assuming then, the misfire is due to the ... whatever is causing the rough idle at start, even though it is short lived. Once I drive it clears up quickly. its just a new thing to this car. Tonight I may have started driving pretty quickly after starting it. I also would like to know the top 10 (or so) things one could do to increase gas mieage, which filters and or additives or ... issues should be addressed first , sparl plug change? Air filter change?

·
Registered
439 Posts
what's listed in history? a tune up and light foot helps with gas mileage. I'd skip any additives. imo

·
1996 Deville
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
what's listed in history? a tune up and light foot helps with gas mileage. I'd skip any additives. imo
I'd probably have to leave a tune up to a professional. I've heard of things like EGR valves and crap but I really don't even know what they are or even if they still exist. Embarrasing but true. Thanks
There are a few HISTORY CODES ... they went buy so fast I didn't write them down. I can look again tomorrow. The only other real problem the car has is the Anti lock break / Speed sensor issue, I think I'm pretty OK with that issue and how it works. It also keeps the speed control from working.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,782 Posts
P 1380 is down in the ICM and speed sensor trouble area.

AWH: Cadillac On-Board Diagnostic Trouble Codes (OBD-II) - open this and scroll down the P codes.

Your engine has the obsolete waste spark system so a good cleaning is in order. New (the expensive AC Delco set) plug wires, AC Delco (DENSO) 41-950 platinum plugs, ICM and coil removal and contact cleaning as well as connections for the ICM base ground cable.

Are you losing any coolant over time? A miss that clears up shortly after START-RUN may be due to coolant in a cylinder.

Here's the diagram of your ignition system - make sure the correct coil tower is connected to the correct plug.

Northstar Waste Spark Ignition System.gif
Northstar firing order & coils.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts