Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,863 Posts
... talked to 2 mechanics today, one with all the tools and has done these before ... sounded very knowledgable ... gave me the time of day ... explained things very well ... says he's done over 100 of these ... current price $3200 ... 2nd mechanic gave me little time of day and his quote "put a fork in it, she's done" in your opinions is BARS head gasket repair worth a try on a car with 165k miles already ... if it doesn't work does it make the head gasket replacement job any more difficult at a later date?
==========================
DO A BLOCK TEST -

rather than wasting your time posting here and talking to mechanics -
spend a couple minutes and DO A BLOCK TEST -

did I mention that BEFORE you do anything else - or talk to anyone else -
you should DO A BLOCK TEST -

SO - I HOPE you can take the HINT -

·
Registered
1998 DeVille
111 Posts
The real takeaway here is, until you do the block test, you'll be grasping for hopeful solutions. If the solution changes color at all, then this is either a fix you'll be spending thousands of dollars or thousands of minutes on.

·
1996 Deville
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
... this is probably getting old ... But I just drove it for about 25 minutes ... A thunderstorm rolled through and cooled things down a bit. It stayed at 199 longer than normal and actually back to 196 ... Before doing it's creep to 201 , 206, 210, 212, 217 back to 206, 210, 217, 222, 226 , 233 was today's high mark , then back to 217 and 210, 222, 217 rest of drive ... WTF ... When am I ever going to know when the spike is coming to 255? Grrrr ...

·
19,863 Posts
... this is probably getting old ... But I just drove it for about 25 minutes ... A thunderstorm rolled through and cooled things down a bit. It stayed at 199 longer than normal and actually back to 196 ... Before doing it's creep to 201 , 206, 210, 212, 217 back to 206, 210, 217, 222, 226 , 233 was today's high mark , then back to 217 and 210, 222, 217 rest of drive ... WTF ... When am I ever going to know when the spike is coming to 255? Grrrr ...
=====================
DO A BLOCK TEST - DO A BLOCK TEST - DO A BLOCK TEST - DO A BLOCK TEST - DO A BLOCK TEST -
DO A BLOCK TEST - DO A BLOCK TEST - DO A BLOCK TEST - DO A BLOCK TEST - DO A BLOCK TEST -

SO - I HOPE you can take the HINT -

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,153 Posts
... this is probably getting old ...
this is beyond getting old. Are you even reading the answers? If you keep getting advice, and ignoring that advice, won't be long before no experienced members will read your posts, much less answer.

·
1996 Deville
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
... sorry, it's the electrician in me .... there are always so many variables in electrical trouleshhoting. It it makes anyone feel better ... I came down to order a chemical test :) Good hint BASSCATT ... how long did it take you to type that ??? :)

·
19,863 Posts
... sorry, it's the electrician in me .... there are always so many variables in electrical trouleshhoting. It it makes anyone feel better ... I came down to order a chemical test :) Good hint BASSCATT ... how long did it take you to type that ??? :)
==================
how long did it take you to type that ???
less than 2 minutes - copy&paste

·
1996 Deville
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Stephen Foster wrote a song about this - "Beautiful Dreamer".

Once the head bolt threads begin to go it's all downhill from there.
Our Northstars bear NO resemblance to a 3.6.

Discount the cooling system and purge line first, then dig into the actual cooling system.

Yes, pouring in magic potions and sealant goop makes subsequent repair quite difficult if not impossible.
OK, the little block test kit finally arrived in the mail ... took awhile and finally turned green slowly ... never yellow but green ... now I have the decision to make ... junk it, try and sell it, do it myself (I highly doubt it, sorry just being real) the magic potion or pay $3200 ... the car isn't immaculate but it isn't bad either ... I'm leaning goop or $3200 ... we'll have to see how the stock market does tomorrow ... PLUG POWER ( PLUG) has done very nicely lately ... might even pay for the entire job!

·
Registered
2000 Deville Base, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
1,104 Posts
Now that you know the cause, STOP WITH THE GOOP, it doesn't work for this problem on this motor. You either fix it the right way or junk it!

·
Registered
1992 DeVille, 2013 ATS 3.6
2,366 Posts
As soon as I read he had temps over 220 I knew it was over. LOL

If you’re gonna have em drop the subframe you better have them refresh pretty much EVERYTHING possible while she’s out. I know I would not F around at that point. Do it all if you’re gonna do it.

·
19,863 Posts
OK, the little block test kit finally arrived in the mail ... took awhile and finally turned green slowly ... never yellow but green ... now I have the decision to make ... junk it, try and sell it, do it myself (I highly doubt it, sorry just being real) the magic potion or pay $3200 ... the car isn't immaculate but it isn't bad either ... I'm leaning goop or $3200 ... we'll have to see how the stock market does tomorrow ... PLUG POWER ( PLUG) has done very nicely lately ... might even pay for the entire job!
======================
OK, the little block test kit finally arrived in the mail ...
took awhile and finally turned green slowly ... never yellow but green ...

OK - ANY color change is a POSITIVE result -
you DO have a head gasket problem -

now I have the decision to make ...
junk it,

you MIGHT get around $300 from a salvage yard -

try and sell it,
I HOPE you would give "full disclosure" and not screw the next buyer -
you MIGHT get $500 - "retail" -

do it myself (I highly doubt it, sorry just being real)
ya - RIGHT! -

the magic potion
there is no magic potion -
worthless - a band-aid at BEST -

or pay $3200 ...
WE know a guy -
an absolute EXPERT doing these - with several hundreds of them under his belt -
he'll do it RIGHT - for LESS than $2500 -
Joe Blau - Midwest Cadillac Repair -
Palatine, Illinois ( NW Chicago suburb)
(847) 776-1234

·
19,863 Posts
one more thing regarding the magic juice - putting it into electricians terms -

I have 2 - 20amp cartridge fuses for my central AC condenser -

one of the the fuses blew -

I have a 1/2" bolt that is the same length as the blown fuse - A PERFECT FIT -

can I use that bolt instead of buying a fuse?

·
1996 Deville
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
one more thing regarding the magic juice - putting it into electricians terms -

I have 2 - 20amp cartridge fuses for my central AC condenser -

one of the the fuses blew -

I have a 1/2" bolt that is the same length as the blown fuse - A PERFECT FIT -

can I use that bolt instead of buying a fuse?
Sure , and it may work ... Depends on if you had a real issue blow it or the fuse was just old or bad. It could run just fine for a long while ... Or it could arc, start a small fire or worse burn your entire house down !

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,886 Posts
.........but remember: Because the magic potion contains sodium silicate it probably renders the entire engine and heater system useless for future repair/overhaul. .........and it will NOT stop failing head bolt hole threads.

Google "water glass". water glass - Google Search

21 - 38 of 38 Posts